Exhibition - 'A Slice of Life'
Past Exhibition: Showed from October 2008 to end of March 2009
Download the exhibition PDF (3.9MB)
"With the appointment of Anderson Stuart, the University began to build premises for the Medical School. The ‘Cottage’ was built in three weeks at a cost of £842 and 15 shillings. Anderson Stuart arrived and began teaching in March 1883, providing daily lectures to four male students, although the building was incomplete."
This exhibition celebrates the re-opening of the J T Wilson Museum after its recent refurbishment. The curators and architects have combined forces to provide a striking modern environment for anatomical study which does justice to the collection built up over more than a century by our anatomy staff and students.
With the opening of the medical school and the arrival of Professor Anderson Stuart, anatomy took a central place in our medical curriculum. In 1890, James Thomas Wilson was appointed as Foundation Challis Professor of Anatomy. Since Anderson Stuart’s time there have been a series of Professors of Anatomy, each who have made significant contributions to Anatomy within the University and elsewhere. Their biographies and achievements are depicted alongside a photo gallery of the first 60 years of prosectors.
The exhibit can be found in the staff common room on the ground floor of the Anderson Stuart building - Camperdown campus - map.
NOTE: This page uses resources from the Sydney Medical School's 'Virtual Exhibitions'.