To prevent and possibly eliminate EV71 infection among the children of our region through the following actions:
- Developing diagnostic tools to aid in the rapid diagnosis and surveillance of EV71;
- Promoting regional surveillance of EV71 by training and supporting scientists working in Asia-Pacific countries in the identification and reporting of EV71;
- Providing a central facility for reporting EV71 epidemic activity and disseminating this information to other members of the network;
- Providing clear and accurate information on EV71 activity and research to doctors, scientists and members of the public within the Asia-Pacific region;
- Engaging in high quality research and providing research training into the pathogenesis of EV71 encephalitis and in vaccine development.