How to apply
While we do not ask students to undergo an English language proficiency test, it is assumed that students from non-English speaking countries will have an advanced level of English proficiency both written and spoken before commencing an elective placement.
Elective students should note that they will not be attending Sydney Medical Program small group learning sessions, although they may spend time on the wards, attend lectures, Grand Rounds, ward rounds and other teaching sessions. An elective student program does not correspond to that of a final year student at the University of Sydney and as such, no documentation to that effect will be signed (eg. "same rights and duties" statements).
Elective students will normally receive Internet access for email but will not have access to the University of Sydney Medical Program Network.
Please read Sydney Medical School's Policy for Overseas Elective Students (PDF)
A non-refundable course fee (see "Fees" below) must accompany the application form or it will not be processed. Payment from non-Australian students can be made by Mastercard or Visa Card only and by completing the details on the payment form. No electronic transfer of funds is acceptable.
Financial assistance is not offered.
It is the responsibility of the visiting student to obtain the necessary visa(s) from the Australian Department of Immigration office in their country of study, for entry into Australia. Visa applications can be made online at the Australian Department of Immigration's website.
For further information applicants should contact their nearest Australian Immigration office with respect to visa requirements. The location of your nearest Australian Department of Immigration office can be found at:
During the elective placement an elective student may not take a leave of absence from the elective placement without the permission of the Electives Contact.
At the completion of the elective all elective students are asked to complete and return an evaluation form before they depart.
If an expression of interest for an Elective placement is successful you will be sent a CHW application pack containing:
- CHW Elective Application form
- CHW Elective Fee Payment form
- CHW Accommodation Request form
Documentation you will be asked to submit with the application pack (do not send any documentation unless you receive an offer with the CHW application pack):
- A letter of recommendation from a senior Faculty member of your school confirming that this Clinical Elective/placement is a required component of your medical course - This must be dated within the last 12 months and if not in English, must be sent with a certified English translation.
- Written proof from your University or other appropriate body that you are covered by insurance for public and professional liability (including medical malpractice) while doing your elective in Australia
This must be dated within the last 12 months and if not in English, must be sent with a certified English translation.
- Evidence that you comply with the following vaccination requirements:
- Hep B (must have a record of three doses at specified monthly intervals, and a blood test one month after final dose showing immunity)
- One adult dose of dTp: Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough)
- 2 doses of MMR vaccine one month apart (or positive IgG for measles, mumps, rubella)
- 2 doses of varicella vaccine or History of varicella either letter from GP confirming you had varicella as a child or a blood test which shows positive IgG for Varicella
- Completed NSW Health forms - will be supplied with the application pack
- Criminal Record Check - Must be in English (or have a certified English translation) from the country in which you have spent the majority of the last 12 months. Must be dated within 12 months of the last day of your elective, e.g. If you finish on 24/08/2012, your CRC must not be dated prior to 23/08/2011.
- National Police Check (NPC) is arranged through the Australian Federal Police. NPC application
Originals or certified copies must be supplied.
For more information about NSW Department of Health requirements, click here
The above documents must be submitted at least three months prior to the desired commencement date. Students should be aware that some documents (eg. Criminal Record Check, National Police Check) take time to organise.
4 week elective placement - AUD$1000.00* (From January 2014)
5-8 week elective placement - AUD$1200.00* (From January 2014)
A completed payment form must accompany the official application form. Do not send any money until you have received an official application form. Fees are non-refundable.
*this includes the $100 elective enrolment fee