How to apply
Once you are offered an elective placement and sent an application pack, it is the responsibility of the elective student to ensure that all documentation is provided as per the specific deadlines as outlined in the offer email. Students who do not meet the deadlines may have their placement cancelled.
Elective students are welcome to attend large group lectures (when available), but are not included in smaller group learning sessions. Elective students will be allocated to a team and as part of their elective will spend time on the wards, attend teaching sessions, Grand Rounds, ward rounds etc. An elective student program does not correspond to that of a final year student at the University of Sydney and as such, no documentation to that effect will be signed (eg. "same rights and duties" statements).
Please read Sydney Medical School's Policy for Overseas Elective Students (PDF)
If an expression of interest for an Elective placement is successful you will be sent a CHW application pack containing:
- CHW Elective Application form
- CHW Elective Fee Payment form
- CHW Accommodation Request form
As part of the application, you will be asked to submit the following (Do not send any documentation unless you receive an offer with the CHW application pack):
- One adult dose of dTpa or Boostrix: must include: Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough)
- Hep B (must be able to produce confirmation of each dose recorded in a formal immunisation record. You will need to provide a serology confirmation of your titre level showing immunity level)
- 2 doses of MMR vaccine one month apart (and positive IgG serology confirmation of your titre level for measles, mumps, rubella)
- 2 doses of varicella vaccine or History of varicella either letter from GP confirming you had varicella as a child or a blood test which shows positive IgG for Varicella
- Criminal Record Check from your home country - Must be in English (or have a certified English translation) from the country in which you have spent the majority of the last 12 months. Must be dated within 12 months of the last day of your elective, e.g. If you finish your Elective on 29/09/2016, your CRC must not be dated prior to 29/09/2015.
- National Police Check (NPC) is arranged through the Australian Federal Police.
- Fee payment form (included in application pack)
- A letter of recommendation from a senior Faculty member of your school confirming that this Clinical Elective/placement is a required component of your medical course - This must be dated within the last 12 months and if not in English, must be sent with a certified English translation.
- Written proof from your University or other appropriate body that you are covered by insurance for public and professional liability (including medical malpractice) while doing your elective in Australia
- This must be dated within the last 12 months and if not in English, must be sent with a certified English translation.
- It is assumed that overseas elective students from non-English speaking countries will have a basic level of English proficiency before commencing an elective attachment. You may be asked to provided confirmation of an IELTS (or equilvant test).
- NSW Ministry of Health Student placement forms as part of the application pack
- 100 points of Identification, including a scanned copy of your student ID card
Originals or certified copies must be supplied.
For more information about NSW Department of Health requirements, click here
The above documents must be submitted three months prior to the desired commencement date. Students should be aware that some documents (eg. Criminal Record Check, National Police Check) take time to organise.
4 week elective placement - AUD$1000.00*
5-8 week elective placement - AUD$1200.00*
*this includes the $100 elective administration fee