Application process for electives

Pre-Application Enquiry

Before applying, please check if the dates and departments you are interested in are, in fact, available. Please send a quick email to .

To apply

For initial applications please complete and the following documents only.
**** Please note: Mandatory documents are only required after a placement has been offered by the Clinical School.

The recommended level of English proficiency for elective students is IELTS 7.0.

  1. Application Form
  2. CV (latest curriculum vitae/resume).
  3. Dean’s reference letter. A referral letter from the Dean of your university.

Once the application has been submitted, it will be assessed accordingly and you will be notified via email when your application has been processed. Please be patient during this period as some delays could occur.

Mandatory documents

Please refer to the following link and read through all of the information carefully to ensure all compliance paperwork are provided to the Clinical School (no later than 6 months) prior to commencement of elective. Failure to do so will result in the cancellation of the elective placement

All documents must be dated within 12 months of the expected completion date. For example, if you plan to finish your elective on 30 November 2017, your documents must not be dated prior to 30 November 2016.

  1. SLHD Compliance Summary Sheet. – students only need to complete name and date of birth in the grey shaded section on page 1 of the form.
  2. If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident - you must produce a clear Australian National Police Certificate issued by the Police service in the State in which you reside with no recorded issues documented on it.
    If you are an overseas student (on any type of visa) and are residing in a country outside of Australia at the time of your application to a NSW university, you must produce a National Police Certificate (NPC) obtained from the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and will be additionally required to provide a National Police Certificate from your home country (if this document is not in English, it must be sent with a certified English translation) and/or any country you have resided in or been a citizen of since turning 16-years of age.
    ***Please note: If applying online for NPC – AFP, for Section 2.3 (Purpose of the Check) –
    Purpose Type: Commonwealth Employment/Purpose
    Purpose of Check: 37 – Care of Children/Intellectually disabled/Aged Care Staff/Volunteers
    New Zealand citizens who do not possess Australian citizenship or permanent residency status are considered an overseas student and this additional requirement applies to them also.
    NSW Health currently does not accept Australian National Police Certificates issued by any authority other than an Australian Police Service i.e. agencies. If there are issues documented on a National Police Certificate, no matter how minor, the student must apply for a 'Clinical Placement Authority Card' and present it in a clear and legible state.
    As stated above if you have issues recorded on your National Police Certificate you will be required to undergo further screening to obtain a Clinical Placement Authority Card by applying to the Employment Screening and Assessment Unit. Remember this applies to any issue recorded on the National Police Certificate, no matter how minor.
  3. A signed acknowledgement that you have read and agree to abide by the NSW Health Code of Conduct.
  4. All Immunisation history (Vacination record card attached) including serology and a completed form 2 and form 3 must be submitted for review by Staff Health. Immunisation cards must be completed correctly; that is Medical Officers must sign each vaccination entry and provide their practice stamp and provider number. Serology showing immunity to Hepatitis B and Rubella must be recorded as a numerical value - not 'positive' or 'negative'.
    Note: Following immunisation status review and if you have been assigned with the classification status of 'Temporary Hep B/TB Contraindication', it is important that you understand that this classification is provided to you only once and offers 6-months from the date it is issued to provide identified follow-up information – it is not extended once it expires. This classification status would have been assigned to you in order to complete one or both of the following:
    a. You are required to complete a course of Hepatitis B and obtain serology demonstrating your immune response (Hepatitis B serology should always be reported as a numerical value). The recommended time frame to complete a course of Hepatitis B injections is noted on page 9 of 25, point 3.4 in the NSW Health Policy Directive 2011_005. Serology must be obtained three to four weeks following the last dose of Hepatitis B.
    b. You may be required to obtain tuberculosis screening if you have indicated on your 'form 2' TB declaration that you have come from or spent longer than, 3-months in a country with a high rate of tuberculosis.
    For queries/clarifications in regards to immunization requirements, please email:
  5. In addition to the above, medical indemnity insurance is also required:
    Medical Indemnity Insurance Written proof of Public and Professional Liability Insurance cover (including medical malpractice) for the duration of elective placement. English version. You might like to apply with MIPS.

Post documents to

When you have all the above required documents ready, please send these original (or copies certified by your Dean with the University seal stating the document is a true copy of the original) documents with the checklist to:

Education Support Officer (Electives)
Concord Clinical School
Medical Education Centre (Building 26)
Concord Repatriation General Hospital
Hospital Road
Concord NSW 2139