Weighted Average Monthly Treatment Cost (WAMTC)
What is it?
The weighted average monthly treatment cost (WAMTC) is calculated for specific classes of medicines as part of the Pharmaceutical Benefits Pricing Authority's annual price reviews of PBS medicines. The WAMTC is calculated from dosage regimen prescribed by GPs.
WAMTC classes designated to BEACH
Currently the Pharmaceutical Benefits Pricing Authority selected BEACH as the designated data source for calculating WAMTC for the following therapeutic drug classes:
- ACE inhibitors (AceIs)
- Calcium Channel Blockers (CCBs)
- Angiotensin II Receptor Anatagonists (ATRAs)
- HMG CoA Reductase Inhibitors (Statins) - Regular potency
- HMG CoA Reductase Inhibitors (Statins) - High potency
BEACH data will therefore be used for calculating WAMTCs for the above classes until 2013.
What you get
A spreadsheet for each molecule within the class summarising the dose regimens in the format below.
BEACH Dosage Data (NB sample only-data are not complete)
||Strength||Dose units||Does per day||Projected*||Unprojected (sample n)
* projected totals are weighted for GP characteristics and extrapolated to total Medicare claimed GP services for the specified period.
This table can be copied straight into the WAMTC calculator.
Pharmaceutical companies with products subject to WAMTC price adjustments may be interested in purchasing these dosage data for the next price reviews for: AceIs, CCBs, ATRAs, Statins-Regular, Statins-High. Dosage data for interim periods may also be useful for tracking WAMTC trends before the start of the next pricing round.
Other dosage data
BEACH can also provide dosage data for the following classes:
- H-2 Receptor Antagonists (H2RAs)
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs)
Although BEACH is not the designated data source for these classes, BEACH data may be useful for those companies who want to make a comparison between BEACH and the designated data sources.
Charges for WAMTC dosage data
Industry and government:
- WAMTC (Weighted average monthly treatment cost) dosage data - single class $A24,200 (Incl. GST)
If you would like to know more about using BEACH dosage data for WAMTC please contact:
A/Prof Helena Britt
Telephone: +61 2 9845 8150
Fax: +61 2 9845 8155
Ms Lisa Valenti
Telephone: +61 2 9354 0610
Fax: +61 2 9845 8155