ICPC-2 PLUS - structure and functionality
ICPC-2 PLUS is based on the same structure as ICPC-2. See the ICPC-2 section to find out more.
There are 3 main constructs within the structure of ICPC-2 PLUS:
- The term: This is the written description of the concept you are trying to capture. Examples of what domains the terms may include are: a disease label (e.g. hypertension), a symptom (e.g. cough) or a procedure (e.g. dressing).
- The code: This is a six digit alpha-numeric code linked to the term. For information about the structure of the code please see the diagram below.
- Keywords: These are used as the links to access the term. Keywords may be terms, synonyms, acronyms etc and are linked to ICPC-2 PLUS terms to facilitate data entry. Multiple keywords can be linked to a single term.
ICPC-2 PLUS codes are 6 digits long, and can be broken down into two parts, the ICPC-2 code, and the "plus" code. For example, A86001:
ICPC-2 PLUS is designed for use during patient encounters. The system aims to provide user friendly, timely access to terms. The key words facilitate access to a pick list of related terms that is flexible (i.e. the terminology allows for multiple term approaches) and accurate (i.e. only appropriate terms are displayed in the pick list).
ICPC-2 PLUS uses keywords (words, word fragments or abbreviations) that describe the concept you are interested in. In suitable software, entry of a keyword automatically produces a pick list of logically related terms. When you identify and select the term you want to save, the ICPC-2 PLUS term and its associated code are automatically transferred into the record.
When using ICPC-2 PLUS, you never have to manually type in codes. The user selects terms that are linked to keywords, and the coding process happens in the back-end of the record.
To complete the automated "data in - data out" cycle of the terminology, a number of standardised data extraction code sets have been developed.
Meaningful data extraction is achieved through the use of "data output groupers". A data output grouper links (or classifies) similar concepts that hold some clinical significance for the user. Data output groupers allow data to be extracted at a number of different hierarchical or cross-sectional levels within the ICPC-2 classification and/or the ICPC-2 PLUS terminology such as:
- ICPC-2 Chapter groupers e.g. all respiratory problems;
- ICPC-2 Component groupers e.g. all symptoms and complaints;
Broad medical constructs e.g. STIs.
The data output functionality of ICPC-2 PLUS allows clinicians to analyse their data at multiple levels:
- Analyse their data at ICPC-2 rubric level (e.g. all patients with Type 2 diabetes);
- Analyse their data in more complex terms with multiple ICPC-2 rubrics and/or ICPC-2 PLUS terms (e.g. all patients with any type of diabetes);
- Analyse in the ICPC-2 chapter-component mode to identify broader medical constructs or patient groups (e.g. all patients treated for respiratory symptoms over the past month, all patients managed for a neoplasm of the skin in the past year).
This application is available to all licensed users at no additional charge.