Roly Dunlop Scholarship for neurological research

Established in 2006, in memory of Roly Dunlop this scholarship supports neurological research embracing neurological impairment and associated conditions such as epilepsy and rehabilitation.

Funded through Sydney Medical School Foundation, the scholarship offered a stipend of $20,000 per annum for a period of 3 years.

In January 2008, the scholarship was awarded to Ms Constance Yap for her project titled, Effect of thyroid inadequacy during pregnancy on the intellectual function of offspring: the role of iodine supplementation and/or thyroxine replacement.

Sydney Medical School Foundation is not currently accepting applications for this scholarship.

Roly Dunlop

Roly Dunlop

Roland James Dunlop was born on 5 June 1967, the youngest of six children, and was apparently unimpaired in any way.

On 4 November 1967, in accidental circumstances, Roly sustained a severe brain injury involving a depressed skull fracture and brain lacerations. Roly was left with severe intellectual deficit in consequence of his injury and associated disabilities including hemiplegia on the right side, loss of motor function and continuous epileptic seizures.

From the first Roly displayed a cheerful and happy disposition, ready on the instant to plunge wholeheartedly into life’s experience. He had a ready affinity for living things and equanimity with, and love for animals. He revelled in the nooks and crannies of his old rambling family home at Singleton and he delighted in the family rural retreat with its creek, open spaces and steep hills. He was readily included in all family activities. Roly was an avid camper and enjoyed fishing and surfing. He had an unquenchable sense of humour as well as a quick and musical ear. He enjoyed movies and social outings and sometimes went on trips with his siblings and with Scouts camping out.

Roly enjoyed a full and happy life. He was always cheerful and over the years never once complained concerning his condition.

In January 2002 Roly developed pneumonia and died at the Mater Hospital, Waratah, on 20 February 2002.