This introductory level course is designed for health professionals and managers, academics, doctoral and masters students, researchers, injury practitioners, policy advocates and program planners who wish to gain an understanding of injury prevention, and who wish their decision making in injury prevention and control to be based on the best available evidence.
Who offers the course?
- Level of assumed/required knowledge
- Course goals
- Course duration
- How is this course assessed?
- Can this course contribute to an academic degree?
- Course delivery
- Course cost
- Course dates
- Is this course accredited for CME points?
- Further information and enrolment
- Contact person/Course coordinator
- Last updated
Injury is the leading cause of death for young people globally and is responsible for a substantial burden of disability in the community. This course is an introduction to the principals and practice of injury prevention and safety promotion. With a range of expert guest lecturers, this workshop will cover
- Descriptive epidemiology of injury burden
- Injury data, surveillance and analysis
- Risk group identification: including young males, older persons, Indigenous populations and children
- Examination of injury prevention across a range of areas including occupational injury, road injury, falls in older people, burns, and global injury prevention
- Effective intervention strategies for reduction and control of injury
- Policy development in injury
- Advocacy in injury prevention
Assessment includes submission of a written assignment and participation in a small group workshop
Yes - this unit is a postgraduate elective in Public Health.
The unit may be completed without formal enrollment. Students can also enroll in this course and earn credit to be accrued toward possible future enrollment in an approved course of study at the University of Sydney. To earn course credit, the student will be required to successfully complete the assessment tasks.
Course is delivered face to face at the Camperdown campus of the University of Sydney
Local award students $1,063
External students $1,063
International students $1,629
Two day course over Friday 17th and Monday 20th October 2014
Visit the [http://www.georgeinstitute.org.au/news-and-events/events/two-day-workshop-injury-prevention-and-falls-prevention-0||George Institute website]] for further information
T: 02 9657 0361