- Systems of the Body: The Musculoskeletal System. Eds: Sambrook PN, Schrieber L, Taylor T and Ellis A. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, 2001. (ISBN 0-443-07015-6).
Chapters in books
- Ghosh P and Cheras P: Vascular mechanism in osteoarthritis. In: Concepts of Pathology and Emerging Treatments in Rheumatic Diseases. Eds. Brooks P and Breedveld F. [Bailliere's Clin. Rheumat.] Best Pract. Res. Clin. Rheumatol. 15(5) 693-709, 2001. [abstract].
- Ghosh P, Roubin R and Smith MM: Rationale for the use of antler cartilage products and genes obtained from their cells to treat arthritis and repair cartilage defects following joint injury. In: Antler Science and Product Technology. Eds. Sim JS, Sunwoo HH, Hudson RJ and Jeon BT. Antler Science and Product Technology Research Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada, pp 296-313, 2001.
- March L and Lapsley H: What are the costs to society and the potential benefits from the early effective management of early rheumatoid arthritis? Bailliere's Best Pract. Res. Clin. Rheumatol. 15(1): 171-185, 2001. [abstract]
- Melrose J: Cartilage and smooth muscle cell proteoglycans detected by affinity blotting using biotinylated hyaluronan. In: Methods in Molecular Biology: "Proteoglycan Protocols" vol. 171. Ed. Iozzo RV, Humana Press Inc., Totowa, New Jersey, pp. 53-66, 2001.
- Roubin R and Ghosh P: Deer antler cartilage cells express specific growth factors which up-regulate chondrocyte DNA and proteoglycan biosynthesis in vitro. In: Antler Science and Product Technology. Eds. Sim JS, Sunwoo HH, Hudson RJ and Jeon BT. Antler Science and Product Technology Research Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada, pp 151-170, 2001.
- Sambrook PN and Lane N: Glucocorticoid osteoporosis. Best Pract. Res. Clin. Rheumatol. 15(3): 401-413, 2001. [abstract]
- Smith MM and Ghosh P: Experimental models of osteoarthritis. In: Osteoarthritis. Diagnosis and Medical/Surgical Management. Eds. Moskowitz RW, Howell DS, Altman RD, Buckwalter JA and Goldberg VM. Chapter 8, WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia, London, New York, St. Louis, Sydney, Toronto, pp 171-199, 2001.
Short review articles, letters, invited symposia, and solicited articles
- Dunbar MJ, Valdivia GG, Parker DA, Ryd L, Bourne RB and Rorabeck CH: Post-operative patient disposition after knee arthroplasty based on pre-operative WOMAC scores. In: Subjective Outcomes after Knee Arthroplasty. MJ Dunbar (Thesis, Lund, Sweden, 2001) ACTA Orthop. Scand. Suppl. 301(72), 2001.
- Hendrickse AD, Ellis AM and Morris RW: Use of simulation technology in Australian Defence Force resuscitation training. J. R. Army Med. Corps 147: 173-178, 2001. [abstract]
- Parker DA, Rorabeck CH and Bourne RB: Long-term followup of cementless versus hybrid fixation for total knee arthroplasty. Clin. Orthop. 388: 68-76, 2001. [abstract]
- Smith NC, Parker DA and McNicol D: Supracondylar fractures of the femur in children. J. Pediatr. Orthop. 21(5): 600-603, 2001. [abstract]
- Valdivia GG, Dunbar MJ, Parker DA, Woolfrey MR, McCalden RW, Rorabeck CH and Bourne RB: The John Charnley Award: Three dimensional analysis of the cement mantle in total hip arthroplasty. Clin. Orthop. 393: 38-51, 2001. [abstract]
- Zochling JM, Schwarz JM, March L and Sambrook PN: Is osteoporosis undertreated after minimal trauma fracture? Med. J. Aust. 174(12): 663-664, 2001.
Full-length articles in refereed journals
- Adam N and Ghosh P: Hyaluronan molecular weight and polydispersity in some commercial intra-articular injectable preparations and in synovial fluid. Inflamm. Res. 50(6): 294-299, 2001. [abstract]
- Bachmeier CJ, March LM, Cross MJ, Lapsley HM, Tribe KL, Courtenay BG and Brooks PM: A comparison of outcomes in osteoarthritis patients undergoing total hip and knee replacement surgery. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 9(2): 137-146, 2001. [abstract]
- Blyth FM, March LM, Brnabic AJ, Jorm LR, Williamson M and Cousins MJ: Chronic Pain in Australia: A prevalence study. Pain 89(2-3): 127-134, 2001. [abstract]
- Burkhardt D, Hwa S-Y and Ghosh P: A novel microassay for the quantitation of the sulfated glycosaminoglycan content of histological sections: Its application to determine the effects of Diacerhein on cartilage in an ovine model of osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 9(3): 238-247, 2001. [abstract]
- Degenhardt M, Ghosh P and Watzig H: Studies on the structural variations of pentosan polysulphate sodium (NaPPS) from different sources by capillary electrophoresis. Arch. Pharm. Pharm. Med. Chem. 334(1): 27-29, 2001. [abstract]
- Diamond T, Sambrook PN, Williamson M, Flicker L, Nowson C, Fiatarone-Singh M, Lord S, Ferris L, O'Neill S and MacLennan A: Guidelines for the treatment of osteoporosis in men. Aust. Family Physician 30: 787-791, 2001. [abstract]
- Gallery EDM, Campbell S, Ilkovski B, Sinosich MJ and Jackson C: A novel in vitro co-culture system for the study of maternal decidual endothelial cell-trophoblast interactions in human pregnancy. BJOG 108(6) 651-653, 2001. [abstract]
- Henderson NK, Eisman JA, Keogh A, MacDonald P, Glanville A, Spratt P and Sambrook PN: Protective effect of short term calcitriol or cyclical etidronate on bone loss after cardiac or lung transplantation. J. Bone Miner Res 16(3): 565-571, 2001. [abstract]
- Hunter D, de Lange M, Andrew T, Snieder H, MacGregor A and Spector TD: Genetic variation in bone mineral density (BMD) and calcaneal ultrasound: A study of the influence of menopause using female twins. Osteoporosis Int. 12(5): 406-411, 2001. [abstract]
- Hunter D, de Lange M, Snieder H, MacGregor AJ, Swaminathan R, Thakker RV and Spector TD: Genetic contribution to bone metabolism, calcium excretion and vitamin D and parathyroid hormone regulation. J. Bone Miner. Res. 16(2): 371-378, 2001. [abstract]
- Hwa S-Y, Burkhardt D, Little C and Ghosh P: The effects of orally administered Diacerhein on cartilage and subchondral bone in an ovine model of osteoarthritis. J. Rheumatol. 28: 825-834, 2001. [abstract]
- Jackson C, Nguyen M, Arkell J and Sambrook P: Selective matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) inhibition in rheumatoid arthritis - Targetting gelatinase A activation. Inflamm. Res. 50(4): 183-186, 2001. [abstract] [full text]
- Knox S, Melrose J and Whitelock J: Electrophorectic, biosensor, and bioactivity analyses of perlecans of different cellular origins. Proteomics 1(12): 1534-1541, 2001. [abstract] [full text]
- Lapsley HM, March LM, Tribe KL, Cross MJ and Brooks PM: Living with osteoarthritis: Patient expenditures, health status, and social impact. Arthritis Rheum. 45(3): 301-306, 2001. [abstract]
- Lau EMC, Lee JK, Suriwongpaisal P, Saw SM, Das de S, Khir A and Sambrook PN: The incidence of hip fracture in four Asian countries: The Asian Osteoporosis Study (AOS). Osteoporos Int. 12(3): 239-243, 2001. [abstract]
- Lau EMC, Suriwongpaisal P, Lee JK, Das de S, Festin MR, Saw SM, Khir A, Torralba T, Sham A and Sambrook PN: Risk factors for hip fracture in Asian men and women: The Asian Osteoporosis Study. J. Bone Miner. Res.16(3): 572-580, 2001. [abstract]
- Laurent R: Soft tissue rheumatism. Medicine Today 2(2): 44-55, 2001.
- Laurent R: Soft tissue rheumatism II. Medicine Today 2(3): 42-52, 2001.
- Melrose J, Ghosh P and Taylor TKF: A comparative analysis of the differential spatial and temporal distributions of the large (aggrecan, versican) and small (decorin, biglycan, fibromodulin) proteoglycans of the intervertebral disc. J. Anat. 198 (pt 1): 3-15, 2001. [abstract]
- Melrose J, Shen B and Ghosh P: Affinity and Western blotting reveal homologies between ovine intervertebral disc serine proteinase inhibitory proteins and bovine pancreatic trypsin inhibitor. Proteomics 1(12): 1529-1533, 2001. [abstract] [full text]
- Melrose J, Smith S, Ghosh P and Taylor TKF: Differential expression of proteoglycan epitopes and growth characteristics of intervertebral disc cells grown in alginate bead culture. An immunohistochemical study. Cells Tissues Organs 168(3): 137-146, 2001. [abstract] [full text]
- Nguyen M, Arkell J and Jackson C: Endothelial cells and gelatinases. Int. J. Cell Biol. Biochem. 32: 621-631, 2001.
- Nguyen TV, Center JR, Sambrook PN and Eisman JA: Risk factors for proximal humerus, forearm, and wrist fractures in elderly men and women: The Dubbo Osteoporosis Epidemiology Study. Am J. Epidemiol. 153(6): 587-595, 2001. [abstract] [full text]
- Pattison ST, Melrose J, Ghosh P and Taylor TKF: Regulation of galatinase-A (MMP-2) production by ovine intervertebral nucleus pulposus cells grown in alginate bead culture by transforming growth factor-b 1 and insulin like growth factor-I. Cell Biol. Int. 25(7): 679-689, 2001. [abstract]
- Sambrook PN: Therapy and prophylaxis of corticosteroid induced osteoporosis. Z. Rheumatol. 2001 60(2):120-122, 2001. [full text]
- Sambrook PN, Diamond T, Ferris L, Fiatarone-Singh M, Flicker L, MacLennan A, Nowson C, O'Neill S and Greville H: Corticosteroid induced osteoporosis - guidelines for treatment. Aust. Fam. Physician 30(8): 793-796, 2001. [abstract]
- Sambrook PN, Raj A, Hunter D, Naganathan V, Mason R and Robinson B: Osteoporosis with low dose corticosteroids: Contribution of underlying disease effects and discriminatory ability of ultrasound versus bone densitometry. J. Rheumatol. 28(5): 1063-1067, 2001. [abstract]
Refereed full-length conference papers
- Hwa S, Smith M, Burkhardt D and Ghosh P: Oestrogen depletion provokes significant vascular and matrix changes in the calcified cartilage and subchondral bone of the femoral-tibial joints of aged ewes. Trans. Orthop. Res. Soc. 47th Annual Meeting, p0373, 2001.
- Melrose J, Smith S, Little C, Kitson J, Hwa S-Y and Ghosh P: Repair of annular disc lesions: Spatial and temporal localisation of TGF-beta, sPARC (osteonectin, BM-40), and FGF-2 are early responses in experimentally injured ovine discs. Trans. Orthop. Res. Soc. 47th Annual Meeting p0896, 2001.