Australia day honours
Warm congratulations to all our alumni and academic staff who gained Australia Day awards.
- Professor Christine Constance Bennett AO (1979). For distinguished service to medicine and healthcare leadership, as a clinician, researcher and educator, particularly in the fields of child and family health and social policy.
- Dr Richard John Brennan AO (1984) For distinguished service to the international community through seminal contributions to humanitarian health, emergency medicine, and disaster response organisations, particularly in developing nations.
- Professor David Stephen Celermajer AO (1984) For distinguished service to medicine in the field of cardiology, as a clinician and researcher, to improved medical diagnostic methods, and to the promotion of heart health, particularly in children and young adults.
- Professor Michael John Cousins AO (1964) For distinguished service to medicine through specialised tertiary curriculum development, as a researcher and advocate for reform and human rights in the field of pain, and as an author and mentor.
- Professor John Francis Thompson AO (1971) For distinguished service to medicine in the field of oncology research, particularly melanoma, to national and international professional organisations, and to medical education.
- Professor Phyllis Noemi Butow AM (PhD, 1991) For significant service to medicine in the field of psychology, as an academic, researcher and author, and to professional organisations.
- Dr Ian Andrew Nicholson AM (1989) For significant service to medicine in the field of cardiac surgery, and through volunteer outreach programs in the Pacific and Africa.
- Associate Professor John Herbert Overton AM RFD (1962) For significant service to medicine, particularly in the area of anaesthesia, through clinical, administration and advisory roles, and to professional organisations.
- Dr Ian James Baguley OAM (1987). For service to medicine, particularly brain injury rehabilitation.
- Mrs Susan Joy Halmagyi OAM (BSc), deceased For service to conservation and the environment.
- Dr Romney Adair Newman OAM (1966) For service to medicine as a physician, and to the community.
- Professor George Ramsey-Stewart OAM (1962) For service to surgical education.
- Dr Peter Robert Wakeford OAM (1962) For service to medicine, and to the community.
Among awards in the General Division, one in eight of all AO awards nationally were to Sydney Medical School alumni! Bevan Stone (1962) proudly notes that three colleagues from his year are in the Australia Day Honours list.