How to fund your postgraduate medical studies

fund pme

The University of Sydney Medical School offers a diverse range of postgraduate courses for healthcare professionals. These courses are designed to help professionals take the next step in their career. The Master of Medicine includes specialist streams in Critical Care Medicine, Clinical Neurophysiology, Internal Medicine, Metabolic Health and Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Development.

Students are able to structure their degree to meet the demands of their work schedule, as the courses are offered largely online. You can learn more about the courses available on the Sydney Medical School website.

Below you will find more detailed information on how to finance your Master of Medicine at Sydney Medical School.

How do I estimate my fees and when do I pay?

The course you have chosen and your citizenship and residency status influence your tuition fees, student contribution (see below), and the loan schemes available to you. Students are charged per unit of study and invoiced each semester.

Once you have submitted your enrolment selections, it will take 24 hours to update your Student Financial Statement in Sydney Student (go to 'My finance', 'Your finances', then 'View financial statements'). These charges include:

  • tuition fees for the semester (or research period).
  • Student Services and Amenities (SSA) fee: Most University of Sydney coursework and research students are liable for this fee which was introduced by the Australian Government to fund university services and support programs. The SSA fee will be charged on 12 May for Semester 1, and 12 October for Semester 2 and will appear on your Student Financial Statement after these dates.

Am I eligible for a FEE-HELP loan?

All students in Master of Medicine courses are required to pay full fees and there are no Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) available. However, the government-funded loan program FEE-HELP is available to eligible domestic students to assist you in paying your tuition fees.

FEE-HELP loans do not accrue interest but are indexed annually to the Consumer Price Index . For more information visit the Study Assist website.

Remember that you will be billed according to the number of units of study in which you enroll and you can check the tuition fees for your specific course in find a course. All tuition fees are subject to an annual increase effective at the start of each calendar year.

Can I apply for credit and/or recognition of prior learning (RPL)?

If credit is granted, it counts towards the total credit points required for your degree. There are two types of credit that may be granted:

  • Specific credit: credit granted for previous studies that are recognised as the equivalent of specific units of study in your course, which have not already been counted towards another degree.
  • Non-Specific credit: ‘block credit’ may be given for a certain number of credit points. This may be in a particular subject area but not linked to specific units of study.

Recognition of prior learning is given when you can show that you have completed the equivalent study elsewhere that has already been credited to another qualification. In this case, you may be exempted from completing a compulsory unit(s) of study in your course. However you still need to complete the same number of credit points by choosing alternative units of study.

You will find more information here.

Is my course tax deductible?

If you are pursuing postgraduate study for professional development purposes and to enhance the skills required for your current employment some of your expenses, including course fees and textbooks, may be tax deductible. This falls within ‘self-education’ expenses under taxable deductions.

The course you undertake must lead to a formal qualification eg a graduate certificate, graduate diplomas or masters degree. There also needs to be sufficient connection to your current employment.

Visit the Australian Taxation Office website for more information and speak to your accountant to discuss your options.

Still have questions?

E Ask a question

T Helpline 1800 793 864 (1800 SYD UNI - within Australia) or +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)

W Sydney Medical School

Our postgraduate courses for clinicians are taught by experts, and will provide you with the knowledge to reach your potential in your chosen area of practice.