Before opening or downloading our application package, you must have read and agree to ALL information and conditions relating to electives on this web site.
To be able to complete the application package, you must have Adobe Reader 7 or higher. It may not be able to open the file if you are running an older version of Adobe Reader.
After completing and printing the form, you are advised to reset the Application package, particularly if you are using a public computer. If you don't, your details will display for the next person who opens the package on that computer.
To apply for an elective with the Northern Clinical School, students are required to submit the following:
- Elective Application Package consisting of:
- Sydney Medical School - Northern Application form
- Payment form - administrative fees
- Enrollment form ($100.00)
- Prohibited Employment Declaration form
- NSW Health Code of Conduct Agreement
- NSW Health Student Undertaking
- NSW Health Working with Children Check
- NSW Health TB assessment tool (Form 2)
- NSW Health Student Undertaking (Form 3)
- A letter of good standing from a senior Medical School member of the student's school (in English or WITH a certified translation, and a 12 month validity)
- Written proof from the student's university or other appropriate body (in English or WITH a certified translation) that the student is covered by insurance for public and professional liability (including medical malpractice) while doing their elective in Australia.
- A Criminal Record Check (in English or WITH a certified translation and a 12 month validity).
- A National Police Check (NPC). This is required by the NSW Health Department. The application form and further information can be found on the Australian Federal Police (AFP) website.
The above documents must be submitted at least three months prior to the desired commencement date. Students should be aware that some documents (e.g. Criminal Record Check, National Police Check) take time to organize.
In accepting an elective placement, you will be required to abide by the guidelines of the University, the hospital and your supervisor.
Students who wish to apply for an elective and are hoping to start in less than three months time should email the Electives Coordinator, Martin Crawford, at for advice before submitting an application package.
Please ensure that you have signed everything in the application package before submitting it as unsigned applications will be rejected. NOTE: the 'NSW Health Working with Children Check' is signed half way down on the left AND the NSW Health Student Undertaking (Form 3) needs to be co-signed by a General Practioner or Health Professional.
Students are required to comply with the following policies: