This course assumes no prior knowledge of histotechniques and introduces the participant to the concepts of histology from the basics. It is suitable for beginners and those who would like to refresh their knowledge and practical skills.
The course is completed over 2 days and consists of a 1-hour lecture in the mornings followed by hands-on practical sessions in the laboratory on both days.
Concepts covered during the lectures include:
- Fixation and processing
- Staining, both routine haematoxylin and eosin and special staining
- Correct use of the microscope
- Laboratory Safety
By the end of the course, participants should have gained practical skills in:
- Paraffin sectioning
- Routine and special histological staining
- Correct set-up of the light microscope
Because class size is limited to ten people, there is ample opportunity to tailor certain parts to individual needs. Participants are encouraged to bring along their own tissue for sectioning, or to request certain stains to be taught.
- Members of the Central Clinical School: $150.00
- Members of the Bosch Institute: $180.00
- Other members of the University of Sydney and associated institutes: $300.00
- External participants: $700.00
All prices are ex GST where applicable.
These costs cover all consumables, detailed course notes, and lunch or light refreshments.