Dr Christopher Jolly
Medicine, Central Clinical School
Centenary Institute of Cancer Medicine & Cell Biology
|Fax||02 9565 6101|
PhD: Macquarie University/CSIRO, Sydney - 1993
Postdoctoral Fellow, John Curtin School of Medical Research, ANU, Canberra - 1993-1994 Postdoctoral Fellow: MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK - 1995-1997 Group Leader, Centenary Institute, Sydney - 1998-present
My group studies antibody mutation in activated B cells, which is initiated by the DNA editing enzyme "AID". B cells mutate their antibody genes at extremely high rates during infections, to rapidly optimise the ability of the antibodies they make to neutralise the infecting pathogen. "Off-target" mutation of oncogenes by AID underlies most adult B cell cancers, so we seek to understand why AID-induced DNA damage leads to mutation, when similar DNA damage is generally repaired faithfully.
Teaching and supervision
B cell development. Antibody gene rearrangement and mutation.
PhD and master's project opportunities
- Upgrade Suite for Multiphoton Microscopes; Weninger W, King N, Triccas J, Bertolino P, Jolly C; DVC Research/Equipment Grant.
- Cell divisions influence on antibody-mediated immunity; Jolly C, Cook A; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- Protease therapies for diabetes-associated liver disease; Gorrell M, Keane F, Cook A, Shackel N, Seth D, Chen J, Jolly C, Hare N, McCaughan G; Rebecca L Cooper Medical Research Foundation/Equipment Grant.
- Activation and suppression of oncogenic translocation by uracil-DNA glycosylases; Jolly C, Holst J, Franklin A; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- QIAxcel high throughput automated DNA, RNA and protein capillary electrophoresis system; Weninger W, Fazekas de St Groth B, Feng C, Jolly C, Semsarian C, Vadas M, Bertolino P, McCaughan G, Shackel N, Bagnall R, Shklovskaya E, Bailey C; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Regulation of the quality of DNA repair by timing in the cell cycle; Jolly C; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- Next-generation high-speed flow cytometric cell sorter; Fazekas de St Groth B, King N, Simpson S, Britton W, Campbell I, Vadas M, Grau G, Weninger W, Christopherson R, Gamble J, Rasko J, McCaughan G, Xia P, Beale P, Holst J, Haass N, Combes V, Saunders B, Byrne S, West N, Gorrell M, Bertolino P, Bowen D, Warner F, Seth D, Grimshaw M, Jolly C, Martiniello-Wilks R, Mrass P, Lyons G, Sword G; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Understanding AID-induced cancer: Unravelling complex mutation and repair pathways; Jolly C; Cancer Council New South Wales/Research Project Grants.
- AID-induced DNA damage: DNA repair and the cell cycle; Jolly C; University of Sydney/Bridging Support.
- Antibody mutation promotes translocation: a natural cause of cancer; Jolly C, Manis J, Alt F; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- Production of human monoclonal antibodies in vivo; Jolly C; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Early Career Fellowships.
- Cell division and the regulation of immunoglobulin switch recombination at the molecular level; Jolly C, Hodgkin P, Hasbold J; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.