Dr Jacqui Webster
Head of World Health Organization Collaborating Centre on Population Salt Reduction, Food Policy Division, The George Institute for Global Health
Senior Lecture, Public Health, The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9993 4520|
|Fax||02 9993 4502|
Jacqui Webster’s primary research interests are salt reduction, working with the food industry to reformulate foods and implementing effective food monitoring strategies. She previously established and implemented the UK Government’s salt reduction strategy and currently leads the work of the World Health Organization Collaborating Centre on Population Salt Reduction (WHO CC SALT) at the George Institute for Global Health. The Centre has a remit to support countries to achieve the new WHO targets for salt reduction through facilitating the exchange of information and providing support and advice on strategy development, monitoring and evaluation. Jacqui is an investigator on the Global Alliance for Chronic Diseases funded programs of work on salt reduction in the Pacific Islands and India. Jacqui obtained her Ph.D. from Sydney Medical School evaluating the impact of salt reduction strategies for Australia. She has authored several international reviews of salt reduction initiatives and regularly contributes to national and international policy development. Jacqui is currently supported in her work by a National Heart Foundation and Stroke Foundation postdoctoral research fellowship.
Main research interests are food policy and advocacy including salt reduction strategies, monitoring the food supply and changing consumer behaviour.
Teaching and supervision
I regularprovide guest lectures including to the University of Sydney, University of Wollongong and overses.
Director of WHO Collaborating Centre on Population Salt Reduction
Project Managing NHMRC partnership project on developing a salt reduction strategy for Australia
CIA on NHMRC funded research on cost effectiveness of salt reduction in the Pacific Islands
CIB on NHMR funded research project on developing a salt reduction strategy for India
CIC on randomised controlled trial to test the impact of different front of pack labelling schemes on salt reduction in Australia
Leading Partnership on salt reduction with the Victorian Health Promotion Agency
Leading series of WHO funded projects to facilitate salt reduction strategies including in Vietnam, Cambodia and the Pacific Islands
Partipating in partnership with Menzies Institute, Darwinon salt reduction in Indigenous Communities
Associate Investigator on George Institute NHMRC Program grant on novel approaches to preventing cardiovascular diseases
Associate Investigator on Centre for Research Excellence on Obesity and Food Policy Systems
High Blood Pressure Research Association
Global Alliance for Chronic Diseases
Health Promotion Australia
Nutrition Society of Australia
- International Strategies to Reduce Population Salt Intake; Webster J; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Career Development Fellowships.
- International strategies to reduce population salt intake; Webster J; Heart Foundation of Australia/Future Leader Fellowship.
- A large-scale randomised trial to define the optimal front-of-pack labelling system for Australian foods; Neal B, Pettigrew S, Webster J, Sacks G; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Partnership Projects.
- Is legislation the only effective way to get the food industry to improve the nutritional composition of foods?; Webster J, Webster J; Heart Foundation of Australia/Postdoctoral Fellowships (Biomedical, Clinical, Public Health).
- Cost effectiveness of salt reduction interventions in Pacific Islands; Webster J, Snowdon W, Neal B, Moodie M; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Strategic Awards: Global Alliance for Chronic Diseases.