Dr James Chong
PhD, FRACP, MBBS,
Medicine, Westmead Clinical School
Westmead Millennium Institute for Medical Research
|Telephone||+61 2 9845 6795|
|Fax||+61 2 9845 8323|
|Curriculum vitae||Curriculum vitae|
Dr James Chong is a Cardiologist at Westmead Hospital and Senior Lecturer at the University of Sydney. His clinical interests focus on coronary intervention whilst his research focuses on the potential use of stem cells to regenerate damaged myocardium. Hisdoctoral training was performed on a previously unidentified population of cardiac stem cells in the adult murine heart. This training at the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute focused on using genetic-mouse models to dissect the lineage origins of this stem cell population. Post-doctoral training at the University of Washington (Seattle, USA) investigated the ability of cardiomyocytes derived from embryonic/induced-pluripotent stem cells to repair the infarcted heart.
Human Cardiac Stem Cells for Cardiac Regeneration and Repair
Awards and honours
2014 Ministerial Award for Rising Stars in Cardiovascular Research (NSW Govt/Heart Foundation)
2014 Sydney Medical Foundation Chapman Fellowship
2013 Ludwig Engel Fellowship, Westmead Millennium Institute/Westmead Hospital.
2011 National Health and Medical Research Council Overseas Biomedical Training (CJ Martin) Fellowship.
2011 Australian-American Fulbright Commision Scholarship.
2009 Ralph Reader Prize (Basic Science) Finalist - Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand Annual Scientific Meeting 2009. Young Investigator Award.
2009 Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand Travelling Fellowship to American Heart Association Scientific Sessions.
2009 Network in Genes and Environment in Development, Travel Grant Award.
2009 University of New South Wales Post Graduate Support Scheme Grant.2008 National Heart Foundation Postgraduate Research Scholarship.
2007 Australian Stem Cell Centre Student Bursary.
2007 Australian Postgraduate Award (Australian Government).
2007 Mc Caughey Trust Research Scholarship Royal Australasian College of Physicians
2007 Pfizer Cardiovascular Travel Grant 2007.
In the media
(University of Washington)
Close collaborative relationship with Prof Charles (Chuck) Murry, Director of the Institute for Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine.
- Clinical Translation of Human Pluripotent Stem Cell Derived Cardiomyocytes; Chong J; National Heart Foundation/Future Leader Fellowship.
- Clinical Translation of Human Pluripotent Stem Cells for Heart Failure (Catalyst funding for University of Washington Collaboration).; Chong J, Kizana E, Murry C; DVC International/IPDF Grant.
- Activation and Rejuvenation of Endogenous Cardiac Stem Cells; Chong J; Heart Foundation of Australia/NSW Cardiovascular Research Network (CVRN) Research Development Project Grant.
- International Program Development Fund – 2015 Round; Chong J; University of Sydney/International Program Development Fund.
- Human cardiomyocyte and mesenchymal stem cell production for animal models of cardiac disease; Chong J; Agency for Science, Technology and Research/Bioprocessing Technology Institute, Biomedical Sciences Institutes.
- Human Cardiac Stem Cells for Heart Regeneration; Chong J; Royal Australasian College of Physicians/Vincent Fairfax Family Foundation Research Establishment Fellowship.
- Sydney Medical School New Staff/Early Career Researcher Scheme 2014; Chong J; University of Sydney/Early Career Researcher.
- Improving Survival and Function of Stem Cell Derived Human Heart Muscle Grafts; Chong J; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Early Career Fellowships.
- Ludwig Engel Memorial Fellowship; Chong J, Chong J; Westmead Millenium Institute/Ludwig Engel Memorial Fellowship.