Dr Thomas Owens
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Physiology, School of Medical Sciences
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 4394|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 2058|
Working towards better treatments for breast cancer
Understanding how benign cancers progress to become deadly metastatic tumours enables better treatments to be developed, to improve quality of life and increase survival rates of people with the disease.
I am identifying how breast cancer cells become more aggressive, in the hope that I can find new ways to treat breast cancer, the most common cancer in women.
Comparing cancer cells with normal breast cells enables me to find the changes that make cells cancerous. These differences provide points that can be targeted in cancer cells to stop them growing and hopefully kill them.
Upon completing my Honours Degree in Biochemistry at the University of Manchester, I stayed in Manchester to do a PhD in Molecular Cancer Studies.
I developed an interest in cancer while making several exciting discoveries of how cells in the breast control their inbuilt cell death program.
Here in Sydney I am using human tumour cells and mouse models to research breast cancer and hopefully contribute to the therapeutics of the future.
- CLARIOstar Multifunctional Microplate Reader for Shared Used at the Open Access, Multi-User Molecular Biology Core Facility; Huang M, Scolyer R, Fraser S, Sahni S, Speranza T, Owens T, Barrs V, Ju Y, Kovacevic Z, Lu Z, Camp A, Slobedman B, Morris B, Oliver B, Dos Remedios C, Kalinowski D, Fu D, Lai D, Lovicu F, Allbutt H, Triccas J, Burgess J, Kril J, Dixon K, Rendina L, Byrne M, King N, Groundwater P, Williamson P, Ho J, Dong Q, Bao B, Assinder S, McLennan S, Richardson D, Ammit A, Sharland A, Hardikar A, Hong A, Hambly B, Lee C, Murphy C, Goldsbury C, Johnstone D, Lane D, Hibbs D, Joshua D, Huq F, Halliday G, Sutherland G, Zreiqat H, Lok H, Lyons G, Jansson P, Black J, Zhu L, Sunde M, Day M, Naylor M, Buckland M, Murray M, Shafie N, Lay P, Poronnik P, Codd R, Mason R, Ryan R, Christopherson R, de Graaf S; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- La Vision BioTec Ultramicroscope; Murphy C, Braet F, Byrne M, Chan-Ling T, Fraser S, Goldsbury C, Halliday G, Hambly B, Johnstone D, Keay K, Lovelace M, Lyons G, Mason R, Overall R, Owens T, Richardson D, Stone J, Weiss A; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- A high-throughput, bright-field and fluorescence digital slide scanning platform and service that is both research and teaching-focused and available University-wide.; King N, Graeber M, Naylor M, Slapeta J, Quinnell R, Charles (nee Slaviero) K, Owens T, Bourne R, Braet F, Hambly B, Overall R, Stone J, Twigg S, Hardikar A, Halliday G, Richardson D, Byrne M, Keay K, Marsh D, Howell V, Pollock C, Chen X; DVC Research/Equipment Grant.
- QX100 Droplet Digital PCR system for Shared Used at the Open Access, Multi-User Molecular Biology Core Facility; Richardson D, Kril J, Murphy C, Vandenberg R, Rendina L, Dos Remedios C, Ju Y, Kovacevic Z, Lyons G, Sutherland G, Lay P, Ammit A, Lai D, Morris B, Day M, Dong Q, Bao B, Huang M, Camp A, Boyer M, Whittington R, Byrne M, Hanrahan J, Fu D, Jansson P, Lane D, Bagley E, Hibbs D, Zhang D, Fraser S, Scolyer R, Black J, Halliday G, Christie M, Zreiqat H, Murray M, Slobedman B, Naylor M, Burgess J, Triccas J, Mason R, Chadban S, Combes V, Lovicu F, McLennan S, Kalinowski D, Sharland A, Johnstone D, Groundwater P, Dixon K, Zhou F, Lovejoy D, Lu Z, Zhu L, Goldsbury C, Witting P, Buckland M, Assinder S, Purdie (Williams) A, Codd R, Owens T, Hambly B; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Robotic High Throughput Western Analysis for the Open Access, Multi-User Sydney Cancer Research Core Facility; Richardson D, Scolyer R, Boyer M, Halliday G, Damian D, Christopherson R, Joshua D, Kench J, Hong A, Murray M, Lee C, Kalinowski D, Naylor M, Lay P, Lyons G, Kovacevic Z, Mason R, Dixon K, Chan-Ling T, Hawkins C, Sunde M, Lovejoy D, Owens T, Rendina L, Jansson P, Dos Remedios C, Charles (nee Slaviero) K, Lane D, Witting P, Dong Q, Ammit A, Groundwater P, Assinder S, Bao B, Byrne S, Zhou F, Buckland M, Grewal T, Huq F, Lai D, Codd R, Zhang D, Fu D, de Graaf S, Huang M, Payne R, Slobedman B, Barrs V, Ho J, Williamson P, Murphy C; DVC Research/Equipment Grant.