Research study opportunities

student with pipette

Postgraduate students and their supervision are an important part of what we do, and students make an integral contribution to the research outcomes of the Kolling Institute of Medical Research. Students (from any of the biomedical, health and social science disciplines) with research interest and potential are encouraged to contact us (see Step 1, below) regarding opportunities for enrolling in postgraduate research degrees.

Generally postgraduate students at the Kolling Institute are enrolled in the Sydney Medical School, but may also be enrolled in other faculties or universities. Honours programs may also be carried out at the Kolling Institute in collaboration with an appropriate undergraduate Discipline.

An annual Summer Research Scholarship program is also available for undergraduates looking for experience in research, projects are advertised on the Faculty website in September each year.

Enrolling in Honours

Link off to details (and database-results once some projects are in there… in 2011)

Enrolling in a research PhD or Masters (local students)

Step 1. Find a project and supervisor

  • Australian and New Zealand students are welcome to peruse the list of research project opportunities available at Kolling (this page loads slowly) advertised in the University of Sydney Research Supervisor Connect database and use the "Contact Research Expert" button to inquire about a project of interest.
  • Alternatively browse our research to find an area of interest, and email the lab head about potential projects, attaching a copy of your CV and academic transcripts.

Step 2. Apply for a scholarship

  • See the Sydney Medical School's instructions on how to apply for scholarships or search the University's scholarship database for scholarships and check their closing dates. NH&MRC scholarship applications close in August and APA/UPA scholarships close in October. Students who obtain one of these scholarships may also apply for Top-Up scholarships offered by the Kolling and the Northern Clinical School (ask your supervisor for details once scholarships are announced).

Step 3. Complete an application for enrolment

  • Download an application for enrolment and submit to the University with copies of your academic transcripts.

Enrolling in a research PhD or Masters (international students)

  • International students should also follow Step 1, above, to find a project and supervisor and then download an application for admission form.
  • Before applying for admission students should check the University's entry requirements for academic and English language qualifications.
  • Students may apply for both the Australian Government scholarships (EIPRS) and the University of Sydney scholarships (USydIS) through the application form. Both scholarships cover tuition costs as well as a living allowance. Closing dates for these scholarships are July (Semester I, March commencement) and December (Semester II, July commencement). Both scholarships are extremely competitive and students should also search the site for Postgraduate courses in Dentistry, Medicine & Pharmacy for scholarships for international students and check for scholarships available for overseas study in their country of origin.
  • Students should contact the University's International Office with any inquiries.

Graduate opportunities inquiries
For more information about graduate opportunities, email .