Coursework Fees

As a coursework student you will need to pay the following fees:


As a prospective candidate in the School you should also explore the possibilities of scholarships from a variety of sources and the availability of financial support from your current employer organisation.

Some scholarships are available for International students as well as domestic students.

You may also find further scholarship information through the University's Scholarships Office.

Clinical Epidemiology Scholarships for local Master Students

The University of Sydney is offering a number of scholarships for students enrolling in either of the Master degrees in Clinical Epidemiology: MMed(ClinEpi) or MScMed(ClinEpi). The scholarships equate to a fee reduction over the life of the Master degrees, and are offered on a competitive basis, awarded on academic merit and achievement relative to opportunity. These scholarships are only open to local students applying for Masters degrees, on a full or part-time basis. Interested applicants are asked to indicate that they wish to be considered, by including a statement within their letter of intent as they submit their coursework application. Please note that the scholarship applications deadline is 31 January.

Please see the following Clinical Epidemiology site for further information: Clinical Epidemiology


If you are studying full-time for the Master of Public Health or Master of International Public Health you may be eligible for Austudy. Find out more from Centrelink.

Course Fees 2014

Please note that fees quoted relate to tuition costs only and are applicable in 2014. The University's tuition fees are reviewed annually and may be varied during the period of study.

The exact tuition fee for your course may depend on the specific units of study in which you enrol.

Coursework Program

Commonwealth Supported Places


Domestic Student Fees


International Student Fees 


Master of Public Health #   8,469 25,500 39,100
Master of Public Health (Professional Practice) #  – 31,875  –
Graduate Diploma in Public Health #  – 19,125 29,325
Master of International Public Health #   8,613
24,200 39,100
Graduate Diploma in International Public Health #  – 18,150 29,325
Master of Medicine/Master of Science in Medicine in Clinical Epidemiology #  – 25,500 39,100
Graduate Diploma in Clinical Epidemiology #  – 19,125 29,325
Graduate Certificate in Clinical Epidemiology #  – 12,750  –
Master of Biostatistics #  – 30,750 58,650
Graduate Diploma in Biostatistics #  – 20,500  39,100
Graduate Certificate in Biostatistics #  –  10,250  19,550
Master of Health Policy  – 25,500 39,100
Graduate Diploma in Health Policy  – 19,125 29,325
Graduate Certificate in Health Policy  – 12,750  –
Master of Qualitative Health Research  – 20,500 39,100
Graduate Diploma in Qualitative Health Research  – 15,375 29,325
Graduate Certificate in Qualitative Health Research  –  10,250  –
Master of Bioethics  – 22,000 36,300
Graduate Diploma in Bioethics  – 16,500 27,225
Graduate Certificate in Bioethics  – 11,000  –
Master of Health Communication 6,044 20,880 34,100
Graduate Diploma in Health Communication  – 15,660 25,920
Graduate Certificate in Health Communication  – 10,440  –
Master of Indigenous Health (Substance Use)  8,613  –  –
Graduate Diploma in Indigenous Health (Substance Use)  6,460  –  –
Graduate Diploma in Indigenous Health Promotion  6,460  –  –

# Can be done by distance

Note - all Australian (local) students enrolling in a coursework program at the School are eligible for Fee-Help. For more information check out the government's Study Assist website or contact the Student Centre, which administers HECS, PELS and full-fee payments.

The Biostatistics program is available to residents of Australia and those holding an Australian work visa. The Graduate Diploma and Graduate Certificate are also available to off-shore international students. You may then upgrade to the Masters when eligible if suitable arrangements can be made for supervision of the workplace project(s). As an off-shore international student, you will be studying for your degree in your own country. It is not possible to complete these courses as an international student in Australia.

Commonwealth Supported Places (CSPs)

Commonwealth Supported Places enable to students to study at substantially reduced fees. The School offers a limited number of Commonwealth Supported Places (CSPs) in the following courses to applicants who are Australian citizens or permanent residents:

To be considered for a CSP, please submit your application by 30 November.

The standard application together with the following documentation is required:

  • Transcripts of all academic qualifications except for studies completed at the University of Sydney - must be originals or photocopies certified by a Justice of the Peace
  • Curriculum vitae (CV) outlining relevant experience in a public health related field(s)

Unsuccessful applicants will be required to pay the full fee for the coursework program they are enrolled in. However, full fee paying Australian citizens will be eligible to apply for Fee-Help.

Indigenous Health Programs

Both the Indigenous Health (Substance Use) and Indigenous Health Promotion program course fees are subsidised by the federal government and can be either paid up front with a 20% discount, or deferred as a HECS (Higher Education Contribution Scheme) debt. A HECS debt is gradually repaid (starting at 4% per year) through the tax system when your income is above $51,309 per year.

More information is available from the Australian government website Study Assist. You can also apply for a scholarship to cover the cost.