Health Policy focuses on how societies set their priorities, make decisions and act to shape health care systems.
The University of Sydney Masters of Health Policy provides students with a comprehensive and practical understanding of the health system and the policy making process, including economic evaluation and use of evidence.
All students complete a major policy project as a capstone unit, which integrates the technical skills of the course in the development of a policy proposal. The course equips students to develop, analyse and evaluate health policy in both an Australian and global context. Much of the teaching is by experienced leading policy professionals.
Health Policy course structure, core and elective units of study.
Your training will include:
- Gaining a critical perspective on how health care is delivered in Australia
- Developing policy and putting policy into practice
- Understanding the current issues in the Australian health care system and emerging issues from international trends
Outcomes for graduates
Graduates have current advanced knowledge of the forces shaping the health policy environment and of the workings of high-level national and international health policy networks.
They have intensive training in policy analysis and critical appraisal techniques. Their wide-ranging technical, research and communication skills enable them to develop and implement health policy across the health sector.
Completion of the Graduate Health Policy program leads to opportunities in:
- Developing the policy and advocacy skills of graduates working in clinical settings
- Federal and State Departments of Health and similar agencies
- Non government agencies and community advocacy groups
- The private sector
- Political lobbyist with organisations representing doctors, specialists, pharmaceutical industry and other such stakeholders in the Australian health care system
Why study Health Policy with us
We focus on linking policy and practice and developing applied skills in policy analysis including policy analysis, economic evaluation and critical appraisal techniques.
- Master of Health Policy
- Graduate Diploma in Health Policy
- Graduate Certificate in Health Policy