Choose your study program

Coursework degrees and programs

Coursework degrees and programs provide post-graduate standard education leading to a
Masters Degree, Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate.

You can complete your coursework degree using our flexible options, combining face-to-face study with online units, helping you balance your work and family life.

Online and other flexible learning options

The following coursework areas can be studied completely online* or a flexible blend of online and face-to-face:

* Please note. Not all study units are available in online mode.
Please check study units available online.

Find out more about other online and distance studies options.

Research degrees

To complete a research degree, students must conduct research and write under the supervision of an academic from the School of Public Health.

Before you apply you must find a supervisor and write your 2 page research proposal.

Professional Development

Get new skills, get a competitive advantage or learn more about Public Health.

Almost any course at the School can be undertaken as a professional development short course.

Choose the topic and delivery mode (face-to-face or online) that suits your work, family and career ambitions.

Further information

To help you make your choice, here are some frequently asked questions.

How will I study?

The School is committed to flexible delivery of its courses, to meet the needs both of students who like to study face-to-face on campus and of those who wish to study in distance mode, whether because of professional or family commitments, remote location or a preference for online learning. Many of our units (including core units for Public Health and Clinical Epidemiology courses) are available in both face-to-face or online study modes, which means you can choose the study option that best suits you. Some electives are available fully online, some are fully face-to-face and some are blended, involving alternating face-to-face and online study. Be sure to check the unit descriptions in the Sydney Medical School Handbook. International students: please note that your visa conditions allow you very limited online study options.

How much time will it take?

You can study all of our programs on a full-time or part-time basis, except Biostatistics which is only available part-time.

A full-time load of 24 credit points per semester involves 12 hours of face-to-face contact (for example lectures, tutorials, workshops) or the online equivalent per week, and an additional 24 hours of non-contact time, for example completing background reading and writing assignments.

A part-time load can vary, depending on the number of units you choose to do at one time. For example, if you wanted to take two 6-credit-point units per semester, your commitment would be 6 hours of face-to-face contact and 12 hours of non-contact time weekly, or about 18 hours per week for distance students.

  Master Grad. Diploma Grad. Certificate
Total credit points 48 36 24
Duration at fulltime load 1 year 1 year 6 months

Can I complete any of these degrees fully by Distance or Online?

Yes, you can complete all courses (Graduate Certificate where available, Graduate Diploma and Master) in Public Health, Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics fully by distance or online study.

* Please note. Not all study units are available in online mode.
Please check study units available online.

When do I need to attend the University?

Most face-to-face teaching is done on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, although some subjects taught in intensive mode may involve weekends. Our staff teach from 9am to 9pm, so that part-time students who work full-time are able to do all their coursework between 5pm and 9pm, although some subjects are only offered during the day. Please see the timetable for more details.

Am I eligible?

Generally, you need a four-year degree to be eligible for a Masters program, or a shorter degree with additional qualifications and/or relevant professional experience. You can be admitted to a Graduate Certificate (where offered) or Graduate Diploma with a three-year degree. Successful completion of these degrees makes you eligible to upgrade to a Masters program, if you wish.

How much will it cost?

Up-to-date information can be found on the Coursework fees page.

What support will the School offer me?

As a student in the School you have access to excellent computing and research facilities, including 24-hour Student Computer Lab access. The School’s Learning and Teaching Support Unit (Room 329, Edward Ford Building) supports students from their first enquiry through to graduation. This is where you can get advice and help – in person, by email or by telephone – for everything from getting directions and help with timetables, through to obtaining copies of course guides and notes, or technical support for online learning.

You will also have access to range of student services which provide help with such things as orientation, accommodation, finances, social activities, counselling and welfare.

Why Sydney?

The beautiful University of Sydney campus - combining traditional sandstone buildings with the latest in architectural design and educational technology - is a wonderful place to study. The University has the largest academic library in the Southern Hemisphere, with 5.3 million books, journals and audiovisual items. It is easily accessible by public transport, is situated in the heart of Sydney, and has been voted one of the world's most desirable cities to live in.