Professional Development Courses
You can study with the Sydney School of Public Health without the need to undertake a full Masters degree or Graduate Diploma to improve your skills in public health. The School offers courses in selected areas of study. These can:
- increase your chances of promotion within your current workplace
- enable you to obtain the skills you need to transfer to a different position
- increase your competency and level of job satisfaction in your current position.
We offer two types of Short courses:
- professional development short courses: you can enrol in these through the School or the program which is offering them
- normal units of study which you can undertake as a non-award student, enrolling formally through Sydney Student . You cannot enrol informally through the School in these courses.
We currently offer the following professional development short course in both Semester 1 and 2 via the Linked Data application form :
- Introductory Analysis of Linked Data (PUBH5215)
- Clinical Epidemiology Fundamentals (formerly known as 'Introduction to Clinical Epidemiology')
For the courses below, enrolment is through the School of Public Health via the SPH PD course application form
In Semester 1 only:
- Bioethics, Law and Society (BETH5104)
- Clinical Ethics (BETH5204)
- Medicines Policy and Economics and Ethics (BETH5209)
In Semester 2 only:
- Human and Animal Research Ethics (BETH5202)
- Ethics and Public Health (BETH5203)
- Ethics and Mental Health (BETH5205)
- Arts in Health (BETH5207)
- Health Issues & Humanitarian Emergencies (MIPH5124)
- Genetics and Public Health (PUBH5116)
- Tobacco Control in the 21st Century (PUBH5418)
- Injury Prevention (PUBH5415) enquiries to (The George Institute)
- Evidence-Based Medicine for Basic Physician Trainees
For the following courses, enrolment is through Qualitative Health Research program.
All enquiries can be directed to the Unit coordinator: Dr Julie Mooney-Somers.
- Advanced Qualitative Health Research (PUBH5500)
- Qualitative Methodologies & Study Design (QUAL5002)
- Qualitative Research Analysis & Writing (QUAL5003)
- Introduction to Qualitative Health Research (QUAL5005)
Almost all individual units of study from the following areas can be taken as short courses via non-award enrolment - formal enrolment through Sydney Student (see Units of Study and then Full units of study list after each link below:
- Public Health
- International Public Health
- Clinical Epidemiology
- Health Policy
- Qualitative Health Research
To enrol as a non-award student, complete the Medicine Non-degree application form.
Some courses are offered as two-day or four-days workshops. Others are available one night a week for several weeks (usually seven).
For the specific structure of a unit of study, see the individual unit description.