News & events
Congratulations to Professor Phyllis Butow who has received the 2012 Premier's Award for Outstanding Cancer Researcher. Professor Butow is a Director at the Surgical Outcomes Research Centre and will be presenting her latest findings at the Sydney Cancer Conference 2012.
Media release 21 July 2012
The Minister for Health and Minister for Medical Research, Jillian Skinner, awarded the state’s highest cancer research accolade to Professor Phyllis Butow, an Australian pioneer in psycho-oncology.
The 2012 Premier's Award for Outstanding Cancer Researcher was awarded at the Cancer Institute NSW's annual cancer awards night in Sydney to honour the work of the state's most innovative and dynamic cancer researchers. "The work of Professor Butow means that people with cancer in NSW and around the world receive the information and support they need at what can be an extremely distressing time," Mrs Skinner said. "Professor Butow has led the worldwide movement to make doctor-patient communication the highest possible standard for people with cancer. She has produced some of the first evidence that effective communication reduces anxiety and depression in people with cancer. Her work has made, and will continue to make, a significant difference to the lives of people with cancer and their loved ones," she said.
SOuRCe presented aspects of our current work at the following meetings or conferences
- Australia & New Zealand Gastric and Oesophageal Surgery Association/Surgeons & the Upper GI Tract (ANZGOSA/SUGGS) conference at the Swiss Grand Hotel, Bondi - 7 to 9 September 2012
- 2012 Sydney Cancer Conference at the University of Sydney - 27 to 28 September 2012
- International Psycho-Oncology Society (IPOS) 14th World Congress and Clinical Onclological Society of Australia (COSA) 39th Annual Scientific Meeting in Brisbane - 13 to 15 November 2012
- The Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand: 2012; 30th Annual Scientific Meeting in Canberra - June 2012.
- RACS 81st Annual Scientific Congress in Kuala Lumpur - May 2012
- 7th Health Services & Policy Research Conference in Adelaide December 2011
- Clinical Oncology Society of Australia (COSA) 38th Annual Scientific Meeting in Perth - November 2011 (oral presentation) **NOMINATED BEST OF THE BEST EPIDEMIOLOGY**