How to apply for a Summer Research Scholarship
To apply for a Summer Research Scholarship, interested students should review the proposed projects and determine which ones they would like to apply for. On the application form you can nominate three (3) project preferences and if you wish you can ask to be considered for other projects if your are not successful in your first three choices.
Online Application Form -Link here
Students will be asked to fill out an online application. To complete the application you will be required to upload the following:
- a one page cover letter outlining your reasons for applying and your interests in research
- your academic record (including certified academic transcript for current degree)
- your CV (A summary of your work experience and other relevant activities)
Applications may be saved and resumed at any time until Sept 21.
Academic Referees reports are also required. Students fill in section A- their details and then provide to the supervisor either on paper or electronically. Supervisors complete section B
Referees email the completed form directly to it is not returned to the student
Academic Referees Report- Referee's Report Form
Applications are not complete until all documents, including the academic referee's report, have been received.
Dean's Award Scholarships
Sydney Medical School will provide support for up to 12 scholarships for high achieving Stage 1 SMP students to undertake an MPhil concurrently with SMP. These will be awarded on the basis of undergraduate achievement, performance in SMP to date and the quality of the proposed research proposal.
The application process for this Award is combined with that for the SMS Summer Research Scholarships.
Students firstly complete their Summer Research Project and then submit a report and give a seminar presentation to the Selection Committee. Approval for progression from summer research project to MPhil is made following assessment of research report, seminar presentation and report from supervisor, and is granted by the Selection Committee.
SMS Dean's Award Scholars will receive $300 per week for a total of 20 weeks of full-time research dedicated to this program and undertaken in the summer breaks between Years 1 and 2 (8 week summer research project), and 6 weeks each for the following 2 summers.
In the case of international students, Sydney Medical School will also provide up to five scholarships of up to $15,000 towards tuition fees for the MPhil.
SMS Dean's Award Scholars will be expected to complete an MD project as is required of all SMP students. This project must be separate to the MPhil research project.
For those Stage 1 MD students wishing to apply for the Dean's Award Scholarship (combined MD/MPhil scholarship), follow the instructions for applying for a Summer Research Scholarship, in addition the following further documents are required to be uploaded to the application. More information on the requirements of these can be found on the Faqs pages.
- A research proposal (approximately 2 pages in length) including a synopsis, objectives, methodology, resources required and references.
- A letter from you supervisor commenting on the applicant’s proposed research proposal and in particular:
- Whether the supervisor considers that the project is suitable for an MPhil project
- Whether in the supervisor's view the applicant is capable of carrying out the project within the stated timeframe
- Confirm that, should the applicant successfully complete the summer research vacation component of the project, you are willing to act as Primary Supervisor for the applicant’s MPhil project over three successive summer vacations as well as during term
A list of potential supervisors and their research areas are included on the Potential Supervisors list attached here. Please note this is not an exclusive list but supervisors must be appropriately registered with Sydney Medical School.
Applications for 2014 are now open and close Sept 21
General Information for 2014/2015 scheme- PDF
For more information on all facets of the scholarships please see the FAQs tab above.
Please direct any queries to:
Research Support Officer
Office of Research and Research Training
Sydney Medical School
Edward Ford Building (A27)
University of Sydney NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9114 0801