Sydney Medical School at the University of Sydney offers two research degrees for both medical and non-medical graduates. Follow the steps below for further information on the research degrees offered, and how to apply.
1. Identify your eligibility for a research degree through the admissions requirements for a research degree:
as well as the Master of Surgery (by research) for medical graduates only.
The research master's and doctoral degrees have two purposes. One is to prepare a substantial piece of work which represents a significant contribution in a particular field of study; the other is to train candidates in general research methodology and equip them with transferable research skills.
2. After identifying your admission eligibility, look at our list of potential supervisors
3. Lodge an expression of interest using the following form:
Prospective Research Student Enquiries
4. Your expression of interest will be assessed for eligibility and you will be advised whether you meet the eligibility to proceed to a full application or whether you do not meet entry requirements.
5. If you have received agreement to lodge a full application, fill out and submit the online application form:
Scholarship & awards
For further information
On issues of applications processes or supervisor registration:
Contact Postgraduate Student Administration Unit
Ph. +61 2 9351 6804
Fax +61 2 9351 8529
On issues of scholarships & awards:
Contact Jane Root
Ph. +61 2 9114 1201