Cancer

Our innovative cancer research has led to world-leading advances in cancer prevention, the treatment of melanoma, our understanding of telomere biology, and the supportive care of people living with cancer.

Research is the critical driver to improve cancer control. Our researchers are focused on gaining a greater understanding of cancer cell biology, which will lead to new strategies in cancer control. They are also engaged in conducting clinical trials of promising new approaches to treat cancer using our network of clinical schools located at hospitals throughout metropolitan Sydney and country NSW.

Thanks to this work people with cancer are living for longer, and with a better quality of life than ever before and each achievement brings us closer to the eventual control of this devastating disease.

Some of the research questions we are investigating are:


What causes a cell to change and become a cancer?"

Why do some people get melanomas and some don't?

What is the best way to influence health policy directions in relation to tobacco control?

Theme Leader

Professor Graham Mann

Find a Researcher

Looking for a cancer researcher or a PhD supervisor? Take a look at the "Find a Researcher" page to search for our world-class cancer researchers.

Latest News

$7 Million for Cancer Research at Sydney
Two University of Sydney cancer research teams have received almost $7 million in NSW government funding, announced on January 13th by the NSW Minister for Health and Medical Research, Jillian Skinner. The grants have been awarded to the Asbestos Diseases Research Institute (ADRI) and the ANZAC Research Institute, based at Concord Repatriation General Hospital. more

Australia Day Honours 2012
Professor Stephen Clarke has been awarded a Medal (OAM) of the Order of Australia in the General Division. more

Professor Roger Reddel receives leading NSW cancer research award
Professor Roger Reddel was awarded the Outstanding Cancer Researcher of the Year at the Cancer Institute NSW Premier's Awards for Outstanding Cancer Research. Professor Reddel and his team have achieved significant advances in the study of cancer cells and their ability to reproduce including the discovery of alternative lengthening of telomeres, the mechanism that 10 to 15 percent of cancers depend on for their continual growth, as well as, the composition of the enzyme, telomerase, on which the other 85 percent of cancers depend. more

Study findings could revolutionise stem cell transplants
A team of researchers from the University of Sydney, Centenary Institute and RPA Hospital, including Professor John Rasko, Dr Jeff Holst and Professor Tony Weiss, and have found a way to increase the number of blood-forming stem cells when growing them outside of the body. Professor Rasko, said “these findings could significantly improve the outcomes of stem cell transplants”... by overcoming one of the major challenges in stem cell transplants , how to obtain sufficient numbers of these remarkably rare cells to put into patients. more