Postgraduate research scholarships - how to apply
Applications for APA/UPA Semester 1 2013 are now open and close on 31 October 2012.
Find further information on the Research Scholarships page
- Applying for an APA/UPA?
- Not sure if you are eligible for an APA/UPA?
- If you are not eligible for an APA/UPA then apply for a Sydney Medical School scholarship
- You are not eligible for any of the above scholarships if:
- Research projects - have you submitted an application for your PhD/MPhil?
Scholarship information evening 2012
Watch the presentation from the information evening held in September 2012. Hear from Associate Professor Brett Hambly, Faculties of Health representative on the Postgraduate Awards Sub-Committee.
(MP4 file, duration 1:41:41, 263Mb)
Are you applying for an APA/UPA?
If you are applying for an Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) or University Postgraduate Award (UPA) your application will automatically be considered for Sydney Medical School scholarships. You do not need to complete a Sydney Medical School application form.
Not sure if you are eligible for an APA/UPA?
If you are not sure whether to apply for the APA/UPA then this flowchart may assist you in making your decision. It is not a definitive answer, but may provide some guidance.
If you are still not sure then apply for an APA/UPA as your application will still be considered for a Sydney Medical School scholarship if it turns out you aren’t eligible for an APA/UPA.
If you are definitely not eligible for an APA/UPA then apply for a Sydney Medical School scholarship.
A single application form is used for all Sydney Medical School scholarships unless otherwise indicated in the description of the scholarship. Only one copy of the application form needs to be completed in any year as applications will be considered for all scholarships for which the applicant is eligible.
Applicants for an APA do not need to complete this form as APA applications will automatically be considered for scholarships offered through Sydney Medical School.
For application forms for all other currently available scholarships please download the scholarship-specific information or application form from the description of the scholarship on
http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/scholawards/postgrad/research.php for research and
http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/scholawards/postgrad/coursework.php for coursework.
- Part-time and international students are not eligible to apply for APA/UPA or Sydney Medical School scholarships.
- People who are undertaking a second master's by research or second research doctorate are not eligible to apply for APA/UPA or Sydney Medical School scholarships. People who have a research master's degree may apply for support for their research doctorate.
- Students undertaking the honours component of a master’s degree by coursework are not eligible to apply for support for their honours component. However, the completion of such a master’s degree by coursework with honours may strengthen an application for a scholarship to undertake a research degree.
Postgraduate Student Administration Unit
Phone: +61 2 9114 1201
Fax: +61 2 9351 8529