- Dr Albert S Mckern Travelling Research Scholarship
- Edith Mary Rose (Travelling) Scholarships
- Postgraduate Student Conference Travel Grants
Established in 2009 by a bequest from Dr A S McKern to facilitate research into the cause, prevention and treatment of mental and physical pain and distress during pregnancy, labour and puerperium. In 2015 two travelling scholarships will be offered for the purpose of travelling between the University of Sydney and the University of Edinburgh and/or Yale University.
- Eligibility: Applicants must be a graduate of the University of Sydney, Australia or the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, or Yale University, USA and must be engaged in research related to the cause, prevention and treatment of mental and physical pain and distress during pregnancy, labour and puerperium
- Value: up to $15,000
- Further information: Please see Terms and Conditions - PDF 14kB
- Closing date: Wednesday 17th September 2014
Application form: How to apply - PDF
The Edith Mary Rose (Travelling) Scholarships are awarded for postgraduate research away from Sydney Medical School. They are intended to help defray expenses incurred by travelling overseas or interstate for the purpose of postgraduate research. Applications should detail a substantial program of research relevant to the applicant's research program undertaken in Sydney Medical School. Applicants are permitted to attend conferences and take personal leave while in receipt of this scholarship but funding will be limited to expenses outlined in the conditions of award under ‘Value of award’.
Applicants must hold a degree from Sydney Medical School or another Faculty of the University of Sydney; and be enrolled in a higher degree by research in Sydney Medical School and have completed at least two semesters of this degree, prior to the start of the research program for which funding is sought. Successful applicants are not permitted to apply for another Edith Mary Rose Scholarship within twelve months of receiving their initial award and may only be awarded up to two Edith Mary Rose Scholarships within a five year period. This restriction also applies to applicants who have previously received Sydney Medical School Travelling Fellowships.
Value of award
Awards are offered up to a maximum of $5,000. The number of scholarships and the value of the scholarships are awarded at the discretion of the Dean of Sydney Medical School and depend on the funds available.
Required documents for application
Please ensure you have read the conditions of award before applying. The following documents are required for all applications:
- application form approved by your Head of School;
- curriculum vitae including list of publications;
- full itinerary including any personal leave or conference attendance;
- confirmation (on formal letterhead) from host supervisor of the dates of your visit and research program activities;
- reasonable quotes for airfares and accommodation;
- disclosure of any funding which has been received/applied for in relation to this research program, including funding received for conference attendance.
Email application form and supporting documentation to
Ms Ancella Cheung
Sydney Medical School A27
Applications can be submitted at any time throughout the year.
Postgraduate Student Conference Travel Grants have been incorporated into the Postgraduate Research Support Scheme.
For further information please contact the office of the Associate Dean at your Clinical School, or find details on the Research Office site.