Publications Arising from the Sound Practice Project
- *Ackermann, B. and Driscoll, T. (2010) Development of a new instrument for measuring the musculoskeletal load and physical health of professional orchestral musicians. Medical Problems of Performing Artists 25 (3): 95-101.
- *Chan, C., Driscoll, T., Ackermann, B. (2012) Development of a Specific Exercise Program for Professional Orchestral Musicians – A Methodological Study. BMJ Injury Prevention. 2013;19:257–263
- *Driscoll, T. and Ackermann, B. (2012) Applied Musculoskeletal Assessment: Results from a standardised physical assessment in a national population of professional orchestral musicians. Rheumatology: Current Research. Open access article at: http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2161-1149.S2-005
- *Ackermann, B., Driscoll, T., and Kenny, D. (2012). Musculoskeletal pain and injury in professional orchestral musicians in Australia. Medical Problems of Performing Artists 27 (4), 181-187.
- *Chan, C., Driscoll, T., Ackermann, B. (Submitted) The Usefulness of On-Site Physical Therapy-Led Triage Services for Professional Orchestral Musicians - A National Cohort Study, BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 14:98, http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/14/98
- *Chan, C., Driscoll, T., Ackermann, B. (2013) Exercise DVD Effect on Musculoskeletal Disorders in Professional Orchestral Musicians, Occupational Medicine, http://occmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/11/07/occmed.kqt117.full?keytype=ref&ijkey=cj4VzR5t10ilRhF
- *Chan, C and Ackermann, B. (Submitted) Evidence-Informed Physical Therapy Management of Performance Related Musculoskeletal Disorders in Musicians
- *Ackermann, B., O’Dwyer, N., Halaki, M. (Submitted) The effect of playing posture on abdominal muscle activity and chest and abdominal expansion in woodwind and brass musicians. Frontiers in Psychology Cognitive Science
- *Kenny D.T. (2011). The Psychology of Music Performance Anxiety. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- *Kenny, D., Driscoll, T., Ackermann, B. (2012). Psychological well-being in professional orchestral musicians in Australia: A descriptive population study. Psychology of Music, http://pom.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/12/10/0305735612463950
- *Kenny, D.T. (2014). Music performance anxiety. In W.F. Thompson & J. G. Golson (Eds.). Music in the Social and Behavioural Sciences. UK: Sage.
- *Kenny, D.T. and Ackermann, B. (2014). Optimising physical and psychological health in performing musicians. In Susan Hallam, Ian Cross, Michael Thaut (eds.)(2nd ed.). Oxford Handbook of Music Psychology. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- *Kenny, D.T., Arthey, S. and Abbass, A. (2014). Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy (ISTDP) for severe music performance anxiety: The assessment, process and outcome of psychotherapy with a professional orchestral musician. Medical Problems of Performing Artist, March 2014, 3-7.
- *Kenny, D.T. (Submitted). Identifying cut-off scores for clinical purposes for the Kenny Music performance anxiety inventory (K-MPAI) in a population of professional orchestral musicians in Australia. Psychology of Music
Physical and Psychological
- *Kenny, D.T., & Ackermann, B. (2013). Performance related musculoskeletal pain and depression in professional orchestral musicians. Psychology of Music, published online 2 September, DOI:10.1177/0305735613493953. http://pom.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/09/02/0305735613493953
- *Ackermann, B.J., Kenny, D.T., O’Brien, I., Driscoll, T. (2014). Sound Practice–Orchestral musician workplace health initiatives in Australia. Frontiers in Psychology
- *O'Brien, I., Driscoll, T., Ackermann, B. (Submitted) Sound exposure of professional orchestral musicians during private practice. Occupational and Environmental Medicine, September 2012.
- *O’Brien, I., Ackermann, B., Driscoll, T. (2012) Hearing conservation and noise management practices in professional orchestras. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene 9:602-608
- *O’Brien, I., Ackermann, B., Driscoll, T. (Submitted) Hearing conservation practices amongst orchestral musicians. Journal of Audiology
- *Ian O’Brien, Judy Wood, Bronwen Ackermann. Assessment of an acoustic screen used for sound exposure management in a professional orchestra. (Submitted to Acoustics Australia)
- *Wayne J. Wilson, Ian O’Brien & Andrew P. Bradley. (2013) The Audiological Health of Horn Players. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene. Nov 2013, 10: 590–596 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15459624.2013.818227