Doctor of Medicine (MD)
Our Doctor of Medicine (MD) program is an excellent training platform on which to build a career in medicine. Our graduates provide professional, diligent and ethical care to the community.
Why study with us?
- Innovative curriculum: our course focuses on small group, problem-based learning and integrating theory with practice.
- Early patient care: you will gain hands-on experience in a structured, supervised program throughout years 1 and 2, and will be well prepared when you transfer to your clinical schools in stage 3 (years 3 and 4).
- Teaching hospitals: Sydney Medical School has clinical schools and provides clinical training in an extensive network of top-tier hospitals in New South Wales.
- Research excellence: you will have access to world-leading researchers, and research institutes and networks.
- Research training: you will undertake a substantial research project as part of the course, providing experience in project organisation and management, literature searching and reference management, data analysis, oral presentation skills and scientific writing.
- Rural experience: our School of Rural Health provides clinical placements throughout central, northern and western NSW.
- Overseas opportunities: Sydney Medical School has extensive international connections. You can undertake a four to eight week clinical or research placement during your elective term.
- International students: If you are an international student, there are a number of opportunities for you to undertake rotations in your home country, with the aim of allowing you to more easily return home after studies in Sydney.
Our Graduate Medicine MD program is designed to provide an excellent education and training platform on which to build a career in medicine, training excellent clinicians who will provide competent, diligent and ethical care to the community.
Our students receive extensive clinical training, with exposure in a clinical environment from the second week of their studies. This takes place in our clinical teaching hospitals, which are located all around Sydney and NSW. The basic sciences are extensively covered especially in years 1 and 2.
- Clinical training in leading NSW hospitals
- Years 1 & 2 are primarily on campus, whilst years 3 & 4 are in clinical schools
- We aim to equip you with high-level clinical skills and knowledge so you are well prepared for future medical research
- We provide you with experience and awareness of health in an international setting.
- Research skills training
- Opportunities to experience rural and international health
We offer a double degree undergraduate-MD program, with a 7 year duration, for high-school leavers who have achieved exceptional results.
The pathways are:
- Science (Advanced)-Medicine
- Medical Science-Medicine