Summer Research Scholarships
What are Summer Research Scholarships?
Summer Research Scholarships offer a unique opportunity for students to obtain experience in medical-related research and provide a fantastic insight into the research process.
The scholarships offer students the experience of working with well-established researchers in high quality medical research facilities.
What do they offer?
- the opportunity to undertake a research project over a period of eight weeks
- supervision by well-established researchers
- excellent research facilities
- $300 per week stipend
How many scholarships are awarded?
Sydney Medical School awards 60 Summer Research Scholarships (a number are given priority to previous Scholarship holders). The award of a scholarship will be subject to a competitive selection process based on a student's suitability to the project.
Who can apply?
- The scholarships are open to students currently enrolled full-time at an Australian University in an undergraduate degree or professional doctorate; including students enrolled in an MD program at the University of Sydney or other Australian University.
- Students currently in a Masters or PhD program, or who have been awarded a Masters or PhD degree are ineligible to apply.
- International students are eligible to apply if:
- 1. They are currently enrolled and studying full-time in an undergraduate or professional degree at an Australian University
2. They hold an appropriate and valid Australian visa to cover the scholarship period
Successful students from universities other than University of Sydney will need to supply copies of certificates of currency for insurance and liability. These should be available from your home university.
Applicants for scholarships have been enrolled across the University sector but the majority of successful applications generally come from the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Engineering
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies
Students awarded a Sydney Medical School Summer Research scholarship previously are welcome to apply for another scholarship this year, pending eligibility criteria.
Students must be available for a full 8 weeks, taking into account the 2 week University close-down period over Christmas/ New Year.
For more information on all facets of the scholarships please see the FAQs for Students.
For information on how to apply see the How to Apply for a Summer Research Scholarship page.
2016/2017 round of applications will open mid-August and close and close Sept 15 2016