The Application Process
In order to assist us in this task we ask that all students interested in pursuing research at VELiM submit the following:
- Curriculum vitae
- A copy of your academic transcript
- A statement of support from an academic referee
- A sample of your written work (this may include an assignment from an undergraduate program, a thesis chapter, dissertation or a published or unpublished paper)
- A ‘Statement of Purpose” in which you describe your:
B) reasons for pursuing an advanced degree, and reasons for pursuing an advanced degree at VELiM (this should be no more than 1-2 pages)
C) ultimate goals.
- Preliminary Project Outline: This should be no more than 1-2 pages and should include a brief background, research aims and research questions, method and anticipated outcomes. This is not assumed to be a completed product but assists us in assessing your ability to choose a topic to research, identify research questions and plan your investigation.
- A brief outline of any formal discussions with staff in VELiM and your preferences regarding supervision (if you have any).
Applications should be submitted to:
Dr Glenys Eddy
Centre for Values, Ethics and the Law in Medicine
Medical Foundation Building, K25
Level 1, 92-4 Parramatta Rd, Camperdown, NSW
Fax: 0061 2 9036 3436
Your application will then be reviewed by the Postgraduate Research and Training Committee, which will make a judgment as to whether you will be offered a place in the PhD program, or advise that you undertake a Master’s degree first.
If you are accepted into either training program, we will then, with your approval, assign a supervisor and co-supervisors, who will assist you to prepare your official proposal to the University of Sydney, and will be responsible for evaluating your progress throughout your higher degree.
Application Dates for Postgraduate Research at VELiM
Dates for applications to be submitted to VELiM:
First Friday of the following months – January, May and October.
A meeting of the committee will be convened following the cut off dates as outlined above and a decision will be made within 2 weeks of these meetings. Acceptance by VELiM still requires application for formal admission by the university.
Application Dates as set out by the University are as follows:
|Scholarship/University Applications||Application Date|
Australian Postgraduate Award /University Postgraduate Award for commencing in Semester 1 of the following year
|Before October 31|
Australian Postgraduate Award /University Postgraduate Award for commencing in Semester 2 of the same year
|Before May 31|
International Students for S1 following year
|Before October 31|
International Students for S2 same year
|Before April 30|
Domestic applications i.e. commencement in March
|31st January for Semester 1|
Domestic applications i.e. commencement in July
|31st May for Semester 2|