The Workforce Education and Development Group focuses on a number of research themes including but not limited to:
- How we can use face to face, emerging technologies, and blended learning to change clinician practice in line with evidence-based practice to improve patient outcomes.
- What factors impact on the effectiveness of clinical education including local environment, governance, and incentives.
Recent Research and Development Grants and Projects
Translational Research Centre Grant
WEDG is responsible for coordinating education research within and across Centres.
JMO event reporting and compliance with National Patient Safety Goals
Duration 2009 - 2012
Partners Healthcare, Boston. Funded partially through Partners and Partners Harvard Medical International.
St Vincents Foundation Research Grant
Spaced Education: an opportunity to increase specialist palliative care nurses pain management capabilities and decrease palliative care patients reports of pain.
Duration 2011 - 2012
Evaluating effectiveness of Spaced Education to support Guideline Dissemination.
Cancer Council Grant
South East Sydney Illawarra Area Health Service
Development of an assessment blueprint and for Hospital Skills program and online learning program.
Duration 2006 - 2011
Research and development of Cancer Learning. In collaboration with RACGP, National Breast and Ovarian Cancer Centre and Clinical Oncological Society of Australia
SAX Institute Rapid Review Grants
Review of efficacy of telehealth technologies for education.
Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute Grant
- Shaw TJ, Pernar LP, Peyre S, Helfrick J, et al. Impact of online education on intern behaviour around Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals: A randomised trial. Academic Medicine (in review).
- Jiwa M, Meng X, Sriram D, Hughes J, Colagiuri S, Twigg S, Skinner T, Shaw TJ. The Management of Type 2 Diabetes: A Survey of Australian General Practitioners . Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice (in press).
- Pernar l, Shaw TJ, Pozner CN, Vogelgesang KR, Lacroix SE, Gandhi T, Peyre SE. An Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) to Test Adherence to the Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals. The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety. (in press).
- Pernar, L., Shaw, T., Pozner, C., Vogelgesang, K., Peyre, S. A Checklist for a Central Venous Line-Based Simulation Scenario to Measure Behavioral Compliance With Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals. Simulation in Healthcare. 2011; 6:117-120.
- Shaw, T., Long, A., Chopra, S., Kerfoot, B. Impact on clinical behavior of face-to-face continuing medical education blended with online spaced education: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions. 2011; 31:103-108.
- Jiwa, M., Chan, W., Ross, J., Shaw, T., Magin, P. Communities of practice - quality improvement or research in general practice. Australian Family Physician. 2011; 40:72-75.
- Iedema, R., Brownhill, S., Haines, M., Lancashire, B., Shaw, T., Street, J. 'Hands on, Hands off': a model of clinical supervision that recognises trainees' need for support and independence. Australian Health Review. 2010; 34:286-291.
- Jiwa, M., Deas, K., Ross, J., Shaw, T., Wilcox, H., Spilsbury, K. An inclusive approach to raising standards in general practice: working with a 'community of practice' in Western Australia. BMC medical research methodology. 2009; 9:13.
- Thistlethwaite, J., Kidd, M., Leeder, S., Shaw, T., Corcoran, K. Enhancing the choice of general practice as a career. Australian Family Physician. 2008; 37:964-968.
- Thistlethwaite, J., Leeder, S., Kidd, M., Shaw, T. Addressing general practice workforce shortages: policy options. The Medical journal of Australia. 2008; 189:118-121.
- Emanuel, L., Walton, M., Hatlie, M., Lau, D., Shaw, T., Shalowitz, J., Combes, J. The Patient Safety Education Project: An International Collaboration. In: Advances in Patient Safety: New Directions and Alternative Approaches. United States: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality 2008. p. 1-15.
- Ryan, G., Lyon, P., Kumar, K., Bell, J., Barnet, S., Shaw, T. Online CME: an effective alternative to face-to-face delivery. Medical Teacher. 2007; 29:251-257.
- McGreevy, P., Shaw, T., Burn, D., Miller, N. OLIVER: an online library of images for veterinary education and research. Journal of veterinary medical education. 2007; 34:510-516.
- Walton, M., Shaw, T., Barnet, S., Ross, J. Developing a national patient safety education framework for Australia. Quality & safety in health care. 2006; 15:437-42