About WEDG Research
Associate Professor Tim Shaw is currently a Chief Investigator on over 10 research grants totaling over $1.4M.
Key research achievements over last 5 years include leading a number of large randomized trials investigating the impact of targeted education on practice amongst primary care physicians across the USA and across Resident Doctors at Massachusetts General and Brigham and Women’s Hospitals. These studies demonstrated that significant practice change could be achieved through online education and resulted in publication in the British Medical Journal Safety and Quality and award for research publication of the year in the Journal of Continuing Professional Development in the Health Professions (2012).
This work has led to a significant number of ongoing translational research projects both in Australia and the United States investigating issues such as pain management, referral for genetic counseling, management of breast cancer and diagnosis in lung cancer. A number of these research grants are detailed below.
The Workforce Education and Development Group focuses on a number of research themes including but not limited to:
- How can we use knowledge translation frameworks to integrate multiple approaches to improving health
- How we can used new technologies and blended learning to change clinician practice in line with evidence-based practice to improve health outcomes
- What factors impact on the effectiveness of clinical education and assessment, including local environment, governance, and incentives.
Winner Excellence in Translational Research Award and Winner Best Research Poster. Translational Cancer Research Conference, Newcastle, Australia 2013
Awarded title of ISQua expert in Education and Implementation Science. International Society for Safety and Quality 2013
Research Publication of the Year in the Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions for Paper: Impact on clinical behaviour of face-to-face continuing medical education blended with online spaced education: A randomized controlled trial. 2012
$10,000 Scholarship to attend Harvard Business School Strategic Development Residential Program in Australia for Associate Professor Tim Shaw, 2012
Best of the Best Oral Award in Education, Clinical Ontological Society of Australia Annual Conference, 2011
WEDG Research Collaborators
Over the years we have collaborated with the following organisations and groups in our research activities.
- Cancer Australia
- Department of Health and Ageing (DOHA)
- New South Wales Health
- Queensland Heath
- Partners Healthcare USA
- Massachusetts General Hospital USA
- Brigham and Women's Hospital USA
- Partners Healthcare International
- Queensland University of Technology
- University of Notre Dame Australia
- Sydney West Translational Cancer Research Centre
- Sydney Catalyst Translational Cancer Research Centre
- St Vincent's Foundation
- Cancer Council
- Cancer Institute NSW
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
- Clinical Oncology Society of Australia
For details of our recent research and development grants and projects plus major reports and program reviews please see our research showcase.