MHSSH LABORATORY STREAM
The HIV, STI and Sexual Health Program provides high levels of knowledge and skill in the understanding and control of STIs, including HIV infection. Our comprehensive program will give you an opportunity to develop your skills in a multidisciplinary, research-rich environment.
- Recent science, medical science or medical graduates interested in pursuing a career in HIV, STIs and Sexual Health diagnostics or research.
- More established laboratory scientists, wishing to gain a more in depth knowledge and practical understanding in these areas.
Students may enrol into one of the following:
- Individual units of study (subject to approval by the unit of study Coordinator)
- The Masters of HIV, STIs and Sexual Health (MHSSH) - Laboratory stream (48 credit points)
- The Graduate Diploma in HIV, STIs and Sexual Health (GDipHSSH) - Laboratory stream (36 credit points)
- A double degree of the MHSSH with a Master of Philosophy (MPhil). Please note that this is only available to AusAID-funded students.
- Students who successfully complete the MSHHS degree with a Credit grade (or higher) may apply for consideration to enrol in an intercalated MPhil degree program. Those who successfully complete their MPhil may use this as a one year contribution towards a three year PhD program.
A science degree from a recognised institution.
Completion of the MHSSH Laboratory Science degree will provide graduates with the chance to contribute to the prevention and management of HIV and STIs. Graduates of this program can use their qualification to work in posts focusing on the laboratory diagnosis of people with, or at risk of HIV and STIs. General laboratory scientists will find this course invaluable in enhancing their current skills and developing specialised skills in the diagnosis and management of STIs and HIV.