Joining the Research Team at WSSHC

WSSHC has a very active research program and we welcome enquiries from people wishing to undertake an MPhil (1 year) or PhD with us. You should consider this, if you:

  • are keen to develop research skills,
  • have a passion for HIV, STIs & Sexual Health and
  • are broadly interested in the current research topics of the department

Australian Permanent Residents/Citizens – are able to undertake either MPhil or PhD studies free of charge, as the Federal Government pays these tuition fees. However, you will still need to identify funding for living expenses (typically around $35,000 per year). There are a number of funding opportunities to potentially assist with this, such as the NHMRC and the Westmead Medical Research Foundation (

Overseas Applicants – will need to identify funding sources for the tuition fees (typically $35,000 per year), together with living expenses (typically a further $35,000 per year). Your government or international bodies such as the Gates Foundation may be worthwhile exploring. Please note that it is generally very difficult for overseas applicants to get funding from within Australia.