Dr. Yayoi Fujita Lagerqvist, Senior Researcher/Lecturer
Yayoi Fujita Lagerqvist is a senior researcher and lecturer in the School of Geosciences. Her main research interest includes linkages between rural livelihood changes and resource tenure in Southeast Asia. Currently, she is a principle investigator of ACIAR funded research: Faclitating Livelihood Adaptation in Lao PDR. She has over a decade of experience working in mainland Southeast Asia facilitating research capacity building on land uses change and natural resource management with national universities and research institutions. She carried out research on land policies in Laos, supported by the International Development Research Centre of Canada and coordinated studies on land use change dynamics in northern Laos together with researchers from the National University of Laos and the East West Center of Hawaii (funded by the National Science Foundation). She also worked as an advisor of a research capacity development programme in Laos supported by the Swedish International Development Agency. After working in Laos, she worked with the University of Chicago and taught courses on sustainable development, and political economy of natural resources in Southeast Asia. During the time working with the University of Chicago, Yayoi also carried out research on land use practices in northwest Cambodia.
Languages: Japanese, Lao, Thai
School of Geosciences
Madsen Building (F09), Rm 468
University of Sydney, NSW, 2006
Phone: +61 2 9036 9277
Fax: +61 2 9351 8627
- Fujita, Y. (forthcoming) “From Swidden to Rubber; Transforming Landscape and Livelihoods in Mountainous Northern Laos.” The Social Life of Forests. ed. S. Hecht, K. Morrison, and C. Padoch. Chicago University Press
- Fujita Lagerqvist, Y. (2013) “Imagining the borderlands: contending stories ofa resource frontier in Muang Sing.” Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography. 34(1):55–67
- Sturgeon, J. C. , N. K. Menzies, Y. Lagerqvist, K. Phanvilay, D. Thomas, and S. Thongmanivong (2013) “Enclosing Ethnic Minorities in the Golden Economic Quadrangle: Benefit or Disadvantage?” Development and Change. 44(1):53-79
- Fujita, Y. (2010). Land and Forest Allocation experience in Lao People's Democratic Republic: instituionalising or decentrliasing the commons? The Politics of Decentralization: Natural Resource Management in Asia. Pacific, e.d. Vandergeest and C. Wittayapak. Seattle, University of Washington Press.
- Thongmanivong, S., Y. Fujita, K. Phanvilay and T. Vongvisouk (2009). "Agrarian Land Use Transformation in Northern Laos: from Swidden to Rubber." Southeast Asian Studies [Tonan Ajia Kenkyu] 47(3): 330-347.
- Fox, J., Y. Fujita, D. Ngidang, N. Peluso, L. Potter, N. Sakuntaladewi, J. Sturgeon and D. Thomas (2009). "Policies, Political-Economy, and Swidden in Southeast Asia." Human Ecology 37:305-322.
- Fujita, Y. and K. Phanvilay (2008) “Land and Forest Allocation in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic: Comparison of Case Studies from Community-Based Natural Resource Management (CBNRM) Research.” Society and Natural Resources 21:120-133
- Fujita, Y. and K. Phengsopha (2008). The Gap between Policy and Practice in Lao PDR. Lessons from Forest Decentralization: Money Justice and the Quest for Good Governance in Asia-Pacific. C. Colfer, G. R. Dahl and D. Capistrano. London, Earthscan: 117-131.
- Fujita, Y., K. Phanvilay, and D. Donnovan (2007). Past Conflicts and Resource Use in Postwar Lao PDR. Extreme Conflict and Tropical Forests. W. de Jong, D. Donovan and K.-i. Abe. Dordrecht. The Netherlands, Springer: 75-92.
- Fujita, Y. (2006) “Changing Landscape and Livelihoods in Laos: The Implications for Rural Development.” Mountain Research and Development 26(3):197-199
- Fujita, Y. and S. Thongmanivong (2006) “Recent Land Use and Livelihood Transitions in Northern Laos.” Mountain Research and Development 26(3):237- 244
- Xu, J., J. Fox, Y. Fujita, A. Jintrawet, Qian Jie, D. Melick, D. Thomas, and H. Weyerhaeuser (2006) “Land-use Transition, Livelihood and Environmental Services in Montane Mainland Southeast Asia.” Mountain Research and Development 26(3):278-284
- Thongmanivong, S., Y. Fujita and J. Fox (2005). "Dynamic Resource Use and Land Cover Change in Ang Nhai Village, Lao PDR." Environmental Management 35(1): 1-13.