William Hetzer Collection
The Hetzer collection, dating from 1854 to the 1860s, contains 42 stereographs, showing images of Sydney buildings and views, views of country areas near Sydney, and an image of Burragorang Aboriginal people near Camden.
William Hetzer, from Germany, arrived in Sydney in February 1850, setting up a photographic studio at 15 Hunter Street, taking portraits using the calotype process. He moved to 314 George Street in 1851. His wife, Thekla, assisted him in the studio.
Hetzer became well known for his prints showing views in and around Sydney, made from the wet-plate collodion negatives. In 1858 he published a series of 36 stereoscopic views of Sydney, and exhibited 100 views at the Photographic Society of NSW’s exhibition in December 1859. Hetzer was a well-known photographer in Sydney, operating at the same time as other professional studios run by Thomas Glaister, the Freeman brothers and Edwin Dalton. He was also involved with local amateur photographers such as Robert Hunt, and William Stanley of the Mint, and John Smith, at the University of Sydney, providing photographic supplies and possibly printing their negatives. He worked in Sydney until 1867, when his studio contents were auctioned and the SMH reported that the Hetzers were leaving for England.
Macleay Museum: HP80.51
Design and Art Australia Online http://www.daao.org.au/
Alan Davies & Peter Stanbury, The Mechanical Eye in Australia: photography 1841-1900 (1985) p. 28