J.G. Park Collection
The J.G. Park collection, dating from the 1910s-1920s, contains approximately 1500 glass negatives and several hundred photographic prints; mainly studio portraits but also images of Leichhardt and Sydney views and scenes.
John Gartly [Gartley?] Park was born in Edinburgh Scotland in 1878. His parents migrated to Australia when he was young. Park married Elsie Johnson in February 1905. He worked as an apprentice photographer for several Sydney studios, including Eden, Swiss Studios and Kerry. In 1914 he took over Olleys Studio, Balmain. Around 1917 Park set up his own studio in the backyard of his house at 112 Francis Street, Leichhardt, Sydney. He was involved in local church affairs. Park preferred glass plates to modern roll film: his glass plates have survived but not his roll film negatives. Park continued to photograph until almost his death on 30 January 1945. The negatives remained in his backyard studio until his wife’s death in 1969.
Park’s photographs appeared in the publication ‘Jubilee Souvenir of the Municipality of Leichhardt December 1871 to December 1921’.
Macleay Museum: HP80.49
Barry Groom & Warren Wickman, Leichhardt: An era in pictures (Macleay Museum, 1992); Sydney Morning Herald 31 Jan 1945