Collection of objects from Pella
Since 1978, the University of Sydney has worked ast the site of Pella (Tabaqat Fahl) in the North Jordan Valley (Map of Jordan - PDF). Archaeological excavations have revealed one of the most important ancient cities in Jordan, with a pattern of continuous human settlement on the main 'tell' or mound stretching back to Neolithic times (ca 6,500 BC).
Right: Gypsum vessels from Pella, Middle Bronze Age-Late Bronze Age, 1900-1200 BC
The location of Pella on the axis of north-south and east-west trade routes ensured that for centuries the city was an active participant in the geo-political affairs of the region. During the Middle Bronze Age II Period (1700-1600 BC), Pella was a prosperous city surrounded by an enormous mud brick wall nearly 3.5 metres thick. Historically, the Jerusalem Christians fled to Pella when the Holy City came under attack by the Romans in AD 70. The Battle of Fahl was a crucial battle fought west of the city between the Christian Byzantine armies and Muslim Arab forces in AD 635.