Museum education programs and tours
Unique resources for learning
The University of Sydney Museums are proud to present a range of education programs for visitors of all ages and all levels – from Kindergarten to HSC students, adult education groups and even preschools and day care centres.
Thousands of students from state and private schools visit us each year, along with people from a range of organisations and educational groups, from all over NSW and the ACT.
What we offer
We offer both specialised and general tours of one or more of our museums.
- The Nicholson Museum features masterpieces of ancient art and objects of daily life from ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome.
- The Macleay Museum specialises in natural history and ethnography.
- The University Art Gallery is a rich resource for visual arts, with works by Australian, Asian and European artists.
In addition to exhibition tours and general visits, our programs also offer:
- hands-on activities
- study resources and worksheets.
Supporting and enriching classroom teaching
Our programs are designed to focus on items in the collections that are relevant to the NSW primary and secondary syllabuses. They have been created to complement and deepen classroom learning.
Our guides are qualified and experienced practitioners in their respective fields, and enjoy sharing their knowledge and expertise. All are trained to assist visitors in developing their skills of analysis and interpretation.
Our programs are designed around participatory and hands-on learning experiences. Visitors can handle archaeological artefacts and natural specimens, wear ancient costumes, hear Dreamtime stories and create art inspired by the works on display.
The education programs have a flexible structure. Choose from:
- a specialised tour focusing on one of the three collections
a general tour of all three museums
- tours of the University of Sydney’s historical buildings and heritage features
- information on campus life for students contemplating tertiary studies.
We can also tailor a visit to suit your specific needs, from specialised, detailed studies which complement HSC class work, through to broad introductions to history, art and science for younger students.
For information on what we can offer your students, please call our Manager of Education Programs.
Phone: +61 2 9036 5409.