NSW bushfires: support and resources for staff and students
21 October 2013
Any staff or students who may be feeling distressed by the bushfires across NSW are encouraged to take advantage of the following services and resources.
If you are under direct threat from a bushfire, please contact emergency services on 000 immediately and follow the instructions of emergency officers.
University resources for students
- The University's Counselling and Psychological Services team provides free and confidential services to all currently enrolled undergraduate and postgraduate students of the University of Sydney.
University resources for staff
- The Employee Assistance Program provides access to free, confidential counselling to University staff. You can get in touch with your HR adviser if you have questions about the program or other HR services.
- If you are in an area where the emergency authorities issue a 'Watch and Act' warning and you believe you require assistance with your evacuation procedures please contact WHS on 9351 5555.
- If a situation develops near your campus, you can call the Campus Infrastructure and Services emergency number on 9351 3333. If you are under direct threat from a bushfire, please contact emergency services on 000 immediately and follow the instructions of emergency officers.
- If you are under direct threat from a bushfire, you should contact emergency services on 000 immediately and follow the instructions of emergency officers.
- The NSW Rural Fire Service website offers a range of news and social media feeds with regularly updated information about the bushfires. They also provide a 'Fires Near Me NSW' app for iPhones and Android phones. More information is available on the RFS website.
- You can also call the NSW Rural Fire Service Information Line on 1800 679 737 for updates on fires in your area.
- This NSW Health factsheet provides useful information on what you can do to avoid or reduce the impact of bushfire smoke on your health.