9 August 2012
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (INSTITUTE FOR DEMOCRACY AND HUMAN RIGHTS)
FACULTY OF ARTS AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
REFERENCE NO. 961/0612
- Research opportunity in the area of the future of democratic ideals and institutions in the Asia and Pacific region
- Further your research career in a dynamic and collaborative world-class environment
- Full-time, 3 year fixed term, remuneration package: $73,251 to $99,404 p.a. (which includes salary, leave loading and up to 17% superannuation)
The University of Sydney is Australia's first university and has an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. It employs over 7500 permanent staff supporting over 49,000 students.
The University of Sydney'sFaculty of Arts and Social Scienceshas a proud history of scholarly achievement and offers a rigorous, vibrant and publicly relevant research and teaching environment.
The Institute for Democracy and Human Rights (IDHR) is a major new venture at the University of Sydney. Launched earlier this year, it aims to develop pioneering cross-disciplinary research, postgraduate training and public outreach initiatives in the fields of democracy and human rights, generously defined.
Applications are invited from qualified individuals for appointment to the role of Postdoctoral Research Associate in the project entitled 'Democracy and Post-Democracy in the Asia and Pacific Region'. The research investigates how and why democratic and human rights ideals, languages and institutions have taken root in the region, for instance in such fields as communication media, environmental politics, electoral integrity, cross-border governing arrangements, religious practices and struggles for social and legal justice. The project examines the role of the Asia and Pacific region in reshaping the spirit and substance of democracy in innovative ways. It also assesses the strength and long-term viability of regional trends towards 'post-democracy', institutionalised ways of exercising power that weaken or dispense with such mechanisms as free elections, respect for universal rights and the open public scrutiny of power.
As the Postdoctoral Research Associate you will actively contribute to the research project and the intellectual life of IDHR by:
- organising and contributing to a program of democracy-related seminars, conferences, lectures and various public outreach programs
- conducting various research tasks, including the clarification of concepts, the collection and analysis of primary and secondary materials and writing and editing professional publications, web-based reports and press releases
- assisting with drafting grant applications and submissions
- co-ordinating administrative tasks linked to the research project.
To be successful you will have:
- a completed PhD in any area of the human sciences, preferably in one or more of the following fields: politics, political theory and international relations; media and communications; history; sociology and anthropology; political economy and environmental politics
- a background in research centred on the theory and practice of democracy, with special reference to the Asia and Pacific region
- a record of publications and previous research experience, including familiarity with conceptual debates and methodological skills
- excellent communication skills with the proven ability to work co-operatively with colleagues from a range of different disciplines
- solid time-management and organisational skills, and the ability to work independently with minimal direction.
Desirable for appointment is your:
- information technology skills including experience with basic web-design, online editing and social media
- previous experience contributing to grant applications and submissions
- competence in at least one of the major languages of the region.
The position is full-time, fixed term for three years, subject to the completion of a satisfactory probation period. Membership of a University-approved superannuation scheme is a condition of employment for new appointees.
Remuneration package: Postdoctoral Research Associate (Academic Level A) $73,251 to $99,404 p.a. (which includes a base salary of $61,898 to $83,998 p.a., leave loading and up to 17% employer's contribution to superannuation).
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/positions and search by the reference number for more information and to apply.
CLOSING DATE: 28 August 2012 (11.30 pm, Sydney time)
The University is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications from equity target
© The University of Sydney