TRIBUTE: Dr David Smiles
27 October 2010
TRIBUTE: DR DAVID SMILES, BSc Agr (Hons) '58 PhD '62 DSc Agr '79
Distinguished agriculture alumnus Dr David Smiles died peacefully on 27 October 2010 with his family by his side.
We extend our deepest sympathy to Marie and David's family.
Dr Smiles graduated from the University of Sydney with three qualifications in soil science, irrigated soil management and interactions between water and porous media. In 1993 he was appointed Chief Research Scientist, CSIRO Division of Soils, now CSIRO Land and Water.
He was awarded the Centenary Medal for service to Australian society in environmental science and technology in April 2003.
Most recently he has been a Post-Retirement Fellow in CSIRO Land and Water, in the Environmental Observation and Landscape Science research program.His research interests were:
- Development of space-like material coordinates to simplify flow equations and facilitate material balance in porous material flow.
- Application of these approaches in civil and chemical engineering as well as soil science.
- Land application of nutrient-rich wastes, and the use of this material for crop/pasture production
- Physical and chromatographic [reaction] chemistry of saline soils.
- Water and solute balance associated with piggery effluent irrigation [under contract with Pork Australia]
- Water and solute movement and chemical reaction, in swelling systems.
- Effects of temperature on non-steady water flow in porous materials.
- Fellowship of SSS America
- Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, 1991
- Recipient of the Farrer Memorial Medal, 1993
- Fellow of the America Society of Soil Science
- Member of the Australian Institute of Agric Sci. and Enging [CPAg etc]
- Member of the Aust Soc Soil Sci
Contact: Ms Skaidy Gulbis
Phone: 02 8627 1006