News

Community development project goes to 'city hall'



18 March 2013

At the opening (from left): Associate Professor Fran Waugh, GCDP manager Alison de Pree-Raghavan and Professor Rob Tierney

The faculty's Glebe Community Development Project (GCDP) was one of only two tenants invited to locate into the newly restored Glebe Town Hall.

Dean of the Faculty Professor Rob Tierney and
Pro Dean Associate Professor Fran Waugh and GCDP manager Alison de Pree-Raghavan attended the official opening by Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore of the $10.2m venue for events, meetings and performances.

The GCDP has moved from its previous home in Benledi House on Glebe Point Rd, to the restored town hall. The other tenant of the newly re-opened building is Glebe Early Childhood Health Centre.

Construction of the original town hall began more than 130 years ago and was completed in two stages, 1880 and 1891. The building is listed as being State-significant because of its outstanding Victorian Free Classical style features.

Restoration works over the past two years have included repairing the facade and original ornamentation and replacing the slate roof. Significant improvements in energy consumption and accessibility have been incorporated into the design.

The GCDP began in 2004 as a joint initiative of the faculty and Housing NSW. Its principal aim is to build capacity and increase social cohesion across the Glebe and Camperdown communities, especially among those residents who are First Peoples or associated with public housing.