Help new students find their way

14 July 2014

Ask Me supporters Dennis Hong (far left) and the Campus Assist team (pictured L-R) Brian Young, Keith Taylor, Peter McAndrew, Daniel Walker, Alf Del Pizzo, David Cataldi, Robert Griffith, Dennis Hong and Terence Ngui

To help make the University a more welcoming, supportive place for all students, Student Support Services is once again encouraging staff to wear an Ask Me badge in the lead up to Semester Two.

The badge signals to new students that they can approach you if they have any questions. Even if you don't know the exact answer, it's still really helpful for students to be pointed in the right direction.

More than 2500 'Ask me' badges have been distributed since the campaign commenced in 2013 to help new students find their way. David Cataldi and many of his colleagues in the Campus Assist team have been proud Ask Me participants for the last few semesters, drawing on their seasoned campus smarts to help new students as they get used to uni.

"It's a great way of really engaging with students, embracing the whole 'student/teaching' experience and taking on the role of an ambassador for the University," says David.

If you would like to get involved, you can request a badge online and download the Sydney Uni App(Android and iOS).

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions of badge wearers at the start of Semester One:

Where can I find...?
Maps are available in students' Orientation Booklet, on the University website or via the Sydney Uni App.

Where do I catch buses?
Bus stops are located along City Road and Parramatta Road. They are marked with small blue bus icons on the campus maps.

Is there a bank on campus?
Banks are located on level 3 of the Wentworth Building. There are several ATMs on campus: see the campus maps. Further banking facilities can be found in Broadway Shopping Centre, opposite the University and Victoria Park.

Can I smoke on campus?
The campus is non-smoking except for designated smoking areas.

Where can I go if I am feeling unwell?
University Health Services are located on level 3 of the Wentworth Building and on the ground floor of the Holme Building.

How do I get my student card?
Student cards are mailed to students - any queries should be directed to the Campus Card Centre.

Where can I buy textbooks?
The Co-Op bookshop is located on the corner of Codrington Street and Darlington Road, just next to the University Sports and Aquatic Centre. Students can also get textbooks from the SRC second-hand bookshop on level 4 in the Wentworth Building.

Where do I get course readers?
Unit of study outlines will state whether students require a course reader and where to obtain it. Most readers can be ordered from the Copy Centre, located next to the Co-op Bookshop.

Are there 24-hour computer labs on campus?
The Carslaw Learning Hub on Eastern Avenue is open 24 hours a day. Use your student card for after-hours access. Find out more about student IT.

How can I get free wifi?
Enrolled students have access to free wifi on campus. Get more information on how to set up wifi or visit an Access Lab.