Cultural tips for visitors to Latin America
4 April 2008
Experience the variety of Latin America: each country has its own traditions, rich indigenous heritage, cuisine, history and cultural variations.
- Try 'mate', a herbal drink similar to green tea prepared and served in a wooden container and drunk with a metal straw.
- Get invited to a barbecue - South Americans are great meat-eaters. Also try out an 'empanada' a South American version of the meat pie.
- Go dancing. The tango is the best known dance of Argentina but there are many other types of traditional dances.
- Latin Americans are generally friendly and hospitable, but over-familiarity is not appreciated - so beware. If they like you, it is not unusual for them to invite you to visit their home.
- A kiss on the cheek is the normal greeting between family and friends whilst a firm handshake is good for business.
- Latin Americans are passionate and opinionated. Soccer and politics can divide family and friends alike.
Contact: Claudia Liu
Phone: 02 9351 3191