Dr Fung Koo
RN, BHS(Nursing), MPH, MHEd, PhD
International Student Adviser
CALD Program Coordinator
M02A - 88 Mallett Street - Building A
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 0559|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 0679|
Fung Kuen (Tebbin) Koo is a registered nurse and a cross-cultural qualitative researher. Tebbin has been a registered nurse since 1993. Her nursing experience covers geriatric nursing care and health promotion. From 1993 to 1999, she worked in Hong Kong’s Vietnamese refugee camps, Hong Kong Caritas Medical Centre’s geriatric unit and special aged care unit. She also taught in the Department of Nursing Studies at the University of Hong Kong. Before joining the Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery as a lecturer in 2006, Tebbin worked as a registered nurse in various hospitals in Sydney and expanded her expertise in public health and health education. She completed her PhD in 2005 at the University of Sydney. Her researcher interests include the impact of culture on health, migration experience and learning experience. She has carried out a number of researc projects with younger and older immigrants in Australia. Tebbin also has a passion for health promotion in the Chinese Australian community. She has conducted several health promotion programs for Australian Chinese Radio (2AC) (from 2006 to 2009) and other Chinese organisations in Sydney.
Areas of Interest
- Cross-cultural studies
- Cultural/health beliefs and health behaviours
- Health promotion and health education
- Immigrants and health
- Older persons and health
- Learning experiences of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) students
Teaching and supervision
Risk factors for coronary heart disease (CHD) among Chinese immigrants in Australia and the influence of culture on primary and secondary prevention - Kai Jin
Master of Philosophy (Principal)
The experience of Asian women in caring for a relative with a terminal illness at home in New South Wales - Mary Heidenreich
Areas of teaching
- NURS2006 -- Ageing, Health and Care
- NURS3010 -- Managing Chronic Condition
- NURS3012 - LIfe Limiting Conidtions and Pallliation
- NURS3016 --Professional Practice
Awards and honours
- 2015 Invited by Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (IVE)(Kwai Chung) to present a health talk ‘Active Ageing and the needs of diverse older population in Australia’
- 2014 Invited by Sydney South Alliance Church to present a health talk, “The needs of Chinese carers in caring for a chronically ill family member/friend in Australia
- 2012 Appointed Anti-smoking ambassador for Chinese Australians
- 2012 Invited by Sydney South Alliance Church to present a health talk, "Dementia and Parkinson's Disease"
- 2011 Invited by Ashfield Council to present a health talk, "Vitamin D, Sun Exposure and Physical activity"
- 2011 Invited by Sydney South Alliance Church to present a health talk, "Vitamin D, sun exposure and physical activity"
- 2010 Invited by Christ Evangelical Centre of Australia to present a health talk, "Cholesterol and Diabetes"
- 2010 Invited by Multicultural Health Communication Centre, Auburn to present a health talk, "Vitamin D and Osteoporosis"
- 2010 Conducted a health promotion program, "Vitamin D and Osteoporosis" -- collaborated with Australian Chinese Community Association (ACCA)
- 2010 Invited by Christ Evangelical Centre of Australia to present a health talk, "My Blood, Your Blood, Our Blood"
- 2009 Invited by Chinese Women Association to present a health talk, "Concept of physical activity among Chinese older people"
- 2009 Conducted a Chinese health education program "Know More About Mental Health" in 2AC Australian Chinese Radio
- 2008 Conducted a Chinese health education program (Session 4) "Health Promotion for Better Health in the Elderly" and an introduction of nurse's role in 2AC Australian Chinese Radio
- 2006 Conducted a Chinese health education program (Session 3) "Health tips for older people" and introduction of nurse's role in 2AC Australian Chinese Radio
- 2006 Conducted a Chinese health education program (Session 2) "Older people and Positive attitude towards life" in 2AC Australian Chinese Radio
- 2006 Conducted a Chinese health education program (Session 1) "Older people and Exercise" in 2AC Australian Chinese Radio
Health promotion and education; Cross Cultural Studies; Preventive health services; Ageing and Health; Health of immigrants