Professor Kate White
RN, PhD Sydney MN ACU CertOnc CertPall, FRCNA FCN(NSW)
M02A - 88 Mallett Street - Building A
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 8627 1567|
|Fax||+61 2 8627 1500|
Cancer Nursing Research Unit
Kate White has worked in clinical, education and research areas specialising in cancer and palliative care throughout her career. Her major research interests are in areas of supportive care in cancer and palliative care, psychosocial and quality of life issues in cancer, the translation of research evidence into clinical cancer nursing practice and models of care with an emphasis in rural health. She has conducted a number of studies in these areas and serves on advisory boards, committees and working groups of government and non-government organisations in cancer and palliative care. She participated in the development and implantation of clinical guidelines, and is a member of the International Guideline Network. Kat has supervised over 20 research students to the successful completion of their degrees.
In 2011, Kate was awarded the prestigious Churchill Fellowship to visit the Royal Marsden Hospital in London and the world's first nurse-led clinic for sexual dysfunction in cancer patients. She is currently working on adapting this model for the Australian context.
Teaching and supervision
Areas of teaching
Kate has supervised over 20 students in the successful completion of their research degree (honours, master's and doctoral programs). Four students have been recipients of medals, all honours students to date have received a first class pass. Three students have been recipients of NHMRC scholarships, and two an APA, eight have been recipients of funding from other sources to support their research.
- Principal Supervisor, Elisha McLaren, Health promotion in the context of endometrial cancer. PhD in progress
- Principal Supervisor, Thilli Chengodu, 'Clinical trials nurses and their role in the informed consent process' PhD in progress
- Principal Supervisor, Olivia Hill, 'Development, Implementation and Evaluation of a Decision Aid and Information Tool for women who may choose breast reconstruction following mastectomy for breast cancer' PhD in progress
- Principal Supervisor, Jennie King, 'The experience and impact of severe hypoglycaemia for adults with type 1 diabetes and their significant other' PhD in progress
- Principal Supervisor, Nickolas Yu, 'The impact of coaching on nurses' PhD in progress
- Principal Supervisor, Helen Gooden 'Identify the unmet needs for psychosocial support for people affected by pancreatic cancer; patients, partners and caregivers' PhD in progress (Upgrade from MPhil)
- Principal Supervisor, Mary Heindriech 'Chinese Australian Carers Experience of Caring in Community Palliative Care' MN Hons in progress
Current research students
|Project title||Research student|
|The impact of chemotherapy-induced alopecia on cancer patients||Jing HE|
|Surviving cancer - what is the experience for the younger adult living in a regional or rural location: a qualitative research study||Donna LEVER|
Kate serves as a member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Palliative Care Nursing and the European Journal of Oncology Nursing and am subeditor for Cancer Nursing and Supportive Care in Cancer. She also serves as a reviewer for a number of national and international journals, including the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Journal of Clinical Nursing, Cancer Forum and International Journal of Palliative Care.
Kate is a member of several boards, committees and working groups for professional organisations. She is the former president and a founding member of the Association of Palliative Care Nurses. Her current roles and service include (full list available on request):
- Member, Steering Committee, Review and update psychosocial clinical practice guidelines (Cancer Australia)
- Member, Sexual Wellbeing Reference Group, Breast Cancer Network Australia
- Deputy Chair, Clinical Services Advisory Committee (Cancer Institute of NSW)
- Chair, Joint Psychosocial and Supportive Care Working Group (Cancer Institute of NSW/NSW Cancer Council)
- Invited Research Committee Member, NSW Cancer Council
- Chair, Education and Workforce Committee (Cancer Institute of NSW)
- Chair, Nurse Practitioner Review Panels (NSW Nurses Registration Board)
Rural health; Health practice; Nurse led; Haematology; Sexuality; Cancer
- The Financial Impact of Cancer and its Treatment on Australian Patients and their Families; White K, D'Abrew N; University of Sydney - Sydney Catalyst Translational Cancer Research/Pilot and Seed Funding.
- Sydney Local Health District Funding Chair of Cancer; White K; Sydney Local Health District/Research Support.
- The Women’s Wellness after Cancer Program: A National Multisite Randomised Clinical Trial of an E-Health Enabled Lifestyle Modification Intervention to Improve the Health and Wellness of Women after Cancer Treatment; Anderson D, McCarthy A, Yates P, Turner M, King N, Monterosso L, Krishnasamy M, White K, Hall S, Tjondronegoro D; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Partnership Projects.
- Evaluating a shared care pathway intervention to reduce chemotherapy outpatients unplanned presentations to hospital; White K, McKenzie H, Hayes L, Simpson J, Horvath L, Willcock S, Cox K, Fethney J; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- Nurse-led cancer care; White K; The Sydney Cancer Centre Foundation (Chris OBrien Lifehouse)./Project Grant.
- Improving colorectal cancer care coordination: centralised, tumour-specific or local, generic models of service delivery; Young J, Solomon M, Butow P, White K; Cancer Institute New South Wales/Translational Program Grant.
- Vulval Cancer Quality of Life Study - Phase 1; White K; NSW Health - Greater Metropolitan Clinical Taskforce/Project.
- The Psycho-oncology Co-operative Group: infrastructure to support operational activity and facility management to further psychosocial research and quality of life studies in clinical trials; Butow P, Meiser B, Girgis A, King M, Vardy J, White K, Rankin N, Price M, Girgis A, Meiser B; Cancer Institute New South Wales/Infrastructure Grant.
- Supporting the Supporters: Meeting the needs of male partners; White K, D'Abrew N; Nurses and Midwives Board (NSW)/Research Grants.
- Life after cancer; Nattress K, White K; Cancer Institute New South Wales/Clinical Research Grant.
- The impact of gynaecological cancer and the associated multi-modality treatment on nutritional statu; Ryan M, Ryan M, White K; Cancer Institute New South Wales/Clinical Research Grant.
- Development and testing of community models for breast health for Chinese-Australian Women: Establishing community adovates and suing cultural specific media; Kwok T, White K; Cancer Institute New South Wales/Research Support.
- Letter on future care: development of an individualised disease specific future care plan for MND; White K; Motor Neurone Disease Research Institute of Australia/Research Grant.
- Improving the patient journey: randomised trail of centralised remote access cancer care co-ordination (CRACCC) to improve processes and outcomes of care; Butow P, Solomon M, Salkeld G, White K; Cancer Institute New South Wales/Fellowship.
- Kinematic changes in the shoulder complex and spine as a consequence of a masectomy; Nicholson L, White K, Crosbie W, Refshauge K, Page L, Kilbreath S; National Breast Cancer Foundation/Research Foundation.
- Development and testing of an instrument to explore factors associated with breast cancer screening; Kwok T, White K, Sullivan G, Fong D; Faculty of Nursing, University of Sydney/Research Grant.
- Learn Now Live Well; Train the Trainer; White K, Auret K, Graham N, D'Abrew N, Auret K; Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing/Research Grant.
- Improving Access And Continuity Of Care For Mental Health Related Presentations In The Emergency Dep; Dixon J, Edwards C, Wand T, White K; NSW Department of Health/Health Minister Innovation Scholarship.
- Strengthen Cancer Care initiative - Infrastructure Support for Clinical Trials Program (Psycho-Oncology Cooperative Research Group); Butow P, Mason C, King M, Solomon M, Stockler M, Tattersall M, Meiser B, Kelly B, White K, Meiser B, King M, Dunn S, Girgis A; Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing/Strengthening Support For Cancer Care.
- Randomised controlled trial of nurse led education intervention on sexuality and body image for women with breast cancer; White K, Yates P, Saunders C, Saunders C, Butow P; National Breast Cancer Foundation/Research Grant.
- The development and evaluation of a menopause information tool for young women following breast cancer; Meiser B, Friedlander M, Gregson J, De A, Hickey M, Waters M, Saunders C, White K, Thewes B; National Breast Cancer Foundation/Research Grant.
- Learning to live well: An educational program for patients and care givers living with life threatening illnesses; White K; Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing/Caring Communities Program.
- NSW psycho-oncology cooperative research group; Solomon M, Butow P, Stockler M, Dunn S, Meiser B, Tattersall M, White K, King M, Meiser B, Girgis A, Kelly B, Mason C, King M; Cancer Institute New South Wales/Research Grants Program - Category 3.
- Strategic internal university funding to support the development of research within the nursing faculty; White K; University of Sydney/Internal Research Grant Allocations.
- A Randomised Controlled Trial Of Low Level Laser Therapy (Lllt) For The Treatment Of Lymphoedema Secondary To Breast Cancer; White K; National Breast Cancer Foundation/Research Grant.
- Volunteer Support for Palliative Care in Residential Aged Care; Harris P, Toye C, Cordingley S, Kristjanson L, White K, Sullivan K, Currow D, Oldham L, Hearn J, Cook P, Taylor A, Shiels W, Schaper F, Casey M, Popescu A, Walton J, Leavesley S; Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing/Research and Development.
- Randomised Controlled Trial of Nurse Led Education Intervention on Sexuality and Body Image for Wome; Yates P, White K, Saunders C, Butow P; Cancer Foundation of Western Australia/Research Grant.
- A Relationship Between breast cancer and pregnancy: A study of the diagnosis management and outcomes; White K, Semmens J, Ives A, Saunders C; The Susan G. Komen Breast cancer Foundation/Research Grant.
- Psychosocial and Practical Support Needs of Cancer Patients and their Families in Western Australia; Ellis I, D'Abrew N, White K, Katris P, O'Connor M; Edith Cowan University/ECU Collaborative Grant.
- 2004 Clinical Placements of Nurses in Western Australia: A project to access and improve the quality; Saunders R, Leslie G, Davis S, White K; Western Australian Nurses Memorial Charitable Trust/Research Grant.
- Moral orientation of undergraduate nursing students; White K; Nurses Registration Board of NSW/Research Grant.
- Meeting the Psychosocial Needs of Palliative Care Patients and their Families: Palliative Care Nurse; Cousins K, O'Connor M, White K, Fisher C; The Nurses Memorial Trust/Research Grant.
- Building Parenting Strengths: A Community-Based Program to Enhance the Psychological Health of Fam; Monterosso L, Fisher C, O'Connor M, Kristjanson L, White K, Sims M; Telstra Foundation/Community Development Fund.
- 2003 A National Analysis of the Palliative and Supportive Care Needs of families whose Children Die; Monterosso L, Phillips -, White M, White K, Kristjanson L, Sawyer S, Hynson J, Yates P, Collins J; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- 2002-2003 Development of an alternative model for palliative care in rural and remote communities; Yates P, Wilkes L, White K; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- A randomised control trial of low level laser for the treatment of lymphoedema secondary to breast c; White K, Oliver D, Attikiouzel Y, Bock C; National Breast Cancer Foundation/Research Grant.
- Testing of an Instrument to Measure Lymphoedema in Women Secondary to Gynaecological Cancer; Hammond I, White K, Kristjanson L, Attikiouzel Y; Women and Infants Research Foundation/Research Grant.
- 2002-2003 Assessment of the Effectiveness of Australian Models of Palliative Care Delivery in Four N; Toye C, Kristjanson L, White K; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- Decision Regret, Decision Role Discrepancy and Adjustment to Breast Cancer: Development of a Model; Nikolettti S, Mastaglia B, Kristjanson L, White K; Cancer Foundation of Western Australia/Research Grant.
- 2002-2003 Development and Testing of a Quality of Life/Activities of Daily Living Scale to Measure t; White K, Oliver D, Nikolettti S, Kristjanson L; Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care/Project Grant.
- Development Of Guidelines For Palliative Care In Residential Aged Care And An Education Program On P; Kristjanson L, White K; Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing/Research and Development.
- Testing of a near peer approach to preventing mucositis; Yates P, Aranda S, White K; National Institute of Clinical Studies (NCIS)/Research Project Grant.
- Practical and support needs of rural cancer patients when receiving treatment in the city; Wilkes L, White K, Beaufills C; Western Sydney University/Research Grant.
- A narrative study of autobiographical accounts of cancer; White K, Giblett R, Cooper E; Edith Cowan University/Research Grant.
- Establish and maintain a research network for the Health Inequalities Research Collaboration, in the; Larsson S, White K, Horowitz P; Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing/Research and Development.
- 12 Month Evaluation of A Rural After Hours Telephone Support Service; White K, Wilkes L, Smith H; NRAHS/Research Grant.
- Implementing Respite Service in the Community; Kristjanson L, Cousins K, White K, Apshar D, Lewin G; HDWA/Research Grant.
- Perceptions of palliative care in aged care settings; Toye C, Yuen K, White K; Edith Cowan University/Research Grant.
- Suffering: a clinical agenda for palliative care nurse and doctors; White K, Wilkes L, Barbato O; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Small Grants.
- Designated Research Group in Oncology and Palliative Care Nursing; White K; Western Sydney University/Research Grant.
Introduction to health psychology in Australia (Pearson Education, 2007)