Dr Peta McVey
PhD Sydney MN GradDip Palliative Care ACU GradCert Clinical Trials Management UC Oncology Nursing Certificate NSWCN
M02A - 88 Mallett Street - Building A
The University of Sydney
Peta McVey RN Oncology Cert Grad Cert Clinical Trials Mgt Grad Dip Pal Care, MN (Research) PhD has worked in the field of palliative care/oncology in Sydney for over 30 years. She has a special interest in end-of-life-care, a palliative approach in aged care and primary care, psychosocial and quality of life issues, and models of care with an emphasis in community settings. She completed a PhD in 2011 at the University of Sydney - “A palliative approach for people with declining health living in hostel accommodation: the state of play”.
Peta joined Sydney Nursing School in 2012 with a conjoint appointment while still working part-time as Clinical Nurse Consultant in palliative care. She has contributed significantly to the specialty of palliative care through her involvement with various national collaborative projects, journal reports/ articles, development and presentation of oral scripts for television presentation, editorial positions, and various conference presentations and has worked with the Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing and Palliative Care Australia to develop national training resources. She has also contributed to the national Senate Inquiry in to Palliative Care.
- Palliative approach in aged care
- Psychosocial issues
- Symptom management
- The dilemma of when to introduce palliative care
Teaching and supervision
Peta teaches and coordinates units of study in the areas of life-limiting illness and palliation; chronic disease and illness; community health; ageing, health and care (NURS3012, NURS6018, NURS3010, NURS6002 and NURS2006).
2013 - ongoing - Medical Record Audit of End Life Practices in Residential Aged Care Facilities
2013 - ongoing - Staff perceptions of end of life care/practices in Residential Aged Care Facilities
2014 - ongoing- Developing end of life care skills for general practice
- Re-elected (2014) Committee member of the NSW Palliative Care Association.
- Committee member of the Scientific Working Group 3 Palliative Care - The Primary Care Collaborative Cancer Clinical Trials Group (PC4).
- Member of The Australian College of Nursing.
- Member of Cancer Nurses Society of Australia (CNSA)
- Member of Palliative Care Nurses Australia (PCNA)
- Member of Australian Association of Gerontology (AAG).
Awards and honours
- 2008 Royal College of Nursing- NSW Nurses Research Grant.
- 2007 National Health and Medical Research Palliative Care Research Program Round Three PhD Scholarship.
Aged care; Chronic disease; Palliative care; Palliative approach; Residential care